Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Playin a little today

Post Thanks / Like

Default Playin a little today

Its coming up on tadpole time up here now that the crappies either are doing it or have spawned already. For me its also time to up-size my offerings. The larger shad stingers, paddletails and full-sized stingers are in the boat ready, willing and able. BUT, as all of us plastics players are guilty of, there always seems to be more than can be done, eh. I got to toying with an idea and that got me in the shop and well....we all know where that leads.

These started out as a full 1 1/2" stinger, then got shortened a bit by bevel cutting each side off to create eye flats, so the body is stubbier and slightly shorter than the original. 4mm eyes were applied and the whole body top coated to where the tail starts. When I nipped the tails for two-coloring, I added an orange dot to one side of the mold creating a top and bottom. Mounting the eyes high on the flat opposite of the orange belly dot helps to create the top/bottom illusion.

I like to mount stinger type plastics on 1/32 heads cast on #8 sickle hooks to help hooking up on sunfish a little better when they are active and a full-sized stinger body makes doing that a chore. Having the body of this stinger abbreviated a bit helps quite a bit in hanging this on that #8 hook. I tried one before adding any eyes or the top coat and liked it so I finished this batch off for the box. The fish will be the judge of my madness I guess. I like them.

One thing I did find out about these right off is that they are not a hurry-up bait to make.

Post Thanks / Like

I do not experiment like that a whole lot because like you said it takes time. yours look great

snake River is offline Crappie.com 2010 Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

they definitely look good and we do like to mess around a lot and experiment with my plastic baits .

www.bobsjigs.com