Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Smartcast Problems

Post Thanks / Like

Default Smartcast Problems

I just bought a Smartcast and used it twice. When I went to use it the last time tranducer either doesn't send any signal to the display or it just reads 0.
    According to the directions, it says to clean it in soapy water to clean any oils off. I have done this and it still doens't work. Anyone else have this happen and what to do? I have the RF35.

I tried to search the forums and it looks like some have problems with it, others can use same RSS for 3 years with no problems. I really like how itworks when it works. Any help appreciated.

Thanks

JimmyZ

Post Thanks / Like

Jim, I had the same problem and took it back and got a new one. On the new one I went back to my area of fishing and had the same problem... I was without words it worked for a bit then got "O" on the display again. This took place two years ago and I have not tried this product again. I wanted to use this on my canada trips but with the problems I went with another product. I hope you can get some feedback on this as I tried with no luck. I know alot of fishermen that use it and has no problems as we did... Maybe some bad luck... Hang in there and hope you have a great year of fishing...
    "May Your Fishing Dreams Come True"

Fish Detective

Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs down Good luck!!!

I have had a ton of problems with these things. The worst is the tendency for the battery terminals to get ozidation on them. I and the wife got one just for throwing across ponds while traveling. Far too many problems with it to make it worthwhile .Pitched mine. Mike

Post Thanks / Like

Default Hope this helps

I had the same problem. If you call hummingbird you should be able to send it in. I noticed that If you do not hold the button down until the things shuts all the way off it freezes up or something. I would never but again i dont think, have you changed the battery?

Send it back that what i say, have em fix it or replace it. I got mine off ebay and they sent me a new one.

Hope this helps.
    Love, what more can I say

Post Thanks / Like

I was talking to a guy the other day he uses his religiously. He said they are very quirky and that he had to take a couple back before he got one that worked.

Post Thanks / Like

I've had the same problems with mine. I was pretty disappointed to. Then I did a bit of research. It seems they don’t do well in windy conditions or very shallow or mossy.
    This showed true yesterday. I got to use it and it was great. When the wind picked up or we started trolling the display would show 0. Once it died down it would resume display. It worked well in depth of 45’ to 5’ and light up with fish when schools passed
    One More Cast ...

Post Thanks / Like

A friend of mine had that very same problem with his. I brought his home and checked his transducer with my unit. I found out it was the transducer that went dead, so all he had to do is get another transducer. To be sure that it is your transducer, use someone else's transducer with your unit and see if it works. The instruction manual says to not put or store the transducer near metal, or it will "stay on" and wears the built-in battery in the transducer down. Hope this helps!
    Last edited by Crappie Chaser; 06-02-2006 at 04:45 PM.

papasage is offline Crappie.com 2011 Man of the Year & Moderator GA * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

i have one and had to send it back . they replaced the switch . now had probablems with the power hookup . have had it for 3 years . i like it and would buy another if that one quit
    retired and now i will always fish

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks everyone. I did take it back to the store and exchanged the tranducer for a new one. It's working good so far. Did good fishing last weekend. I will keep the new one dry and stored in a dry place. Hopefully I have one now that will last 3 years.

bella is offline Moderator TX Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

I've got a bud of mine that bought some land that has 4 tanks on it. Smallest 2acrs largest 4acrs . He used his to make topo maps of these tanks. It worked till he finished about 6 mos then it died . he has since got a pond boat on each 1 with depth finder on each tank. Smart cast was dead on for each 1 . he still uses the smart cast & swears by it === Good luck

BIG LEO