PDA

View Full Version : Night fishing for crappie

MO swamprat
05-02-2012, 09:22 AM
I need some schooling. Night fishing for crappie in my area isn't a method used (or talked about being used). I've done alot of night fishing for catfish but I'm wanting to try it for crappie when the weather gets hot this summer.
Do you use the floating lights or Coleman lanterns? Do you anchor over deep brush piles or stumps? The lakes I fish are not deep lakes, 30 ft in the river channels. I have no idea how to even start this so any of y'all that have advice in this I thank you for helping.

kbaker
05-02-2012, 09:36 AM
I always find a spot with structure and use a lantern to see by and a sinking green light for bait attraction. I have used a single lantern and did well.

skiptomylu
05-02-2012, 09:40 AM
Find a bend in the river or a creek feeding the lake and put a brush pile in at a spot you can tie up. You can use a lot of different kinds of lights and all will work, some better than others. Green lights are really good, but so are some white one that you let down into the water maybe a foot or so. Starfire is a light that is relatively low cost that will do the job. However it's easy to mess one up or break it as I know lots get left in the water on a move and you know what happens then. If you drop them or bang them they can break so you may want several. I would put one out on each end of the boat. Also your gonna want to get a Thermacell to keep the bugs away, they work!

Here is a link to the light and maybe someone else has a better light they can share with you...
Amazon.com: Brinkmann 800-1515-0 Starfire II Underwater Fishing Light: Home Improvement (http://www.amazon.com/Brinkmann-800-1515-0-Starfire-Underwater-Fishing/dp/B0000AYD7O)

I use some green lights, but they cost a good bit, but if interested just PM me about that.

In the boat I don't use a light other than some inside accessory lights in my live wells and have a head light if I need to re-tie. Other than that I don't care for lights in the boat.

MO swamprat
05-02-2012, 10:57 AM
Do u pole in hand or put them in rod holders? Sorry for so many questions.

strmwalker
05-02-2012, 11:37 AM
Do u pole in hand or put them in rod holders? Sorry for so many questions.
pole in rod holders the best lights you can buy with the lowest draw on your battery is from Bob#1 Reel lites right here on Crappie.com here is his website!!!!
Fishing lights boat-deck-pond (http://www.reel-lites.com/)
(http://www.reel-lites.com/)and for nightstalking here is a article from another cdc member the one and only Mr
rango a great article to read!!!!
The night was coming on fast as I picked up my fishing partner Gary Kunes at his dock and we set out for a night of Lake Wylie (http://www.crappie.com/rango/index.htm)

skiptomylu
05-02-2012, 12:26 PM
I hold my pole in hand as don't want to miss the sly ones and they do come (also don't want them to swallow the hook when I am not looking). My Green lights I use and can be seen on my web site (I don't stock them, but the Mfg. has them for you to get if wanted) are LED Green lights and their housing is made from heavy aluminum stock so could run oner one with a car and not hurt it. I use 2 of these and never had a battery problem. The are bright as heck. I also have one of the older style 3 foot long green lights that I also like, but I would have a battery for it as it's not an Led, but cast a large light and is called the Fisherman's green light. I am sure I bought it in the 1990's. Sometimes I use all 3, but some time use just the LED or just the 3 foot one too.

I don't know anything about the other one strmwalker is linking, but that is because I just have not tried them and they may be just as good, I don't know!

Here is the kind... Jumping Cholla Tackle - Home of the Nucli-Eye... Excite the night! (http://jumpingchollajigs.com/)

Also I did a search for them and see others are also selling these. I got away from selling them just because I have so much tying materials and didn't want to tie up my funds with these.
Nucli-Eye Aurora LED Crappie Fish Attracting Light - Google Search (http://www.google.com/search?client=safari&rls=en&q=Nucli-Eye+Aurora+LED++Crappie+Fish+Attracting++Light&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8)

FIN
05-02-2012, 01:30 PM
A coleman lantern that uses unleaded gasoline is a smart investment. You can hang it over the bow to light floats and string . It will draw fish also. I use a kerosene lantern with citronella lemon grass oil to help repell bugs.
Also wmart has for $4.99 Solar charging lansdcape lights complete with battery and auto on and off. I use 2 of these to light the inside of the boat. Quite a worthwhile bargain .
Also google chumming crappie .
Fin

Choupic
05-02-2012, 09:30 PM
The rivers that we fish has lots of camps , some have some sort of street light near the water or even over the water . So basically all we need is a small light in the boat . It's nice when the summer heat kicks in , you can go fish after the sun Gos down .

dblevens
05-02-2012, 10:49 PM
find a bend over a channel, put out an anchor on each end of the boat, or tie to the bank and drop an anchor off the back, drop a starfire light in the water, and I strongly suggest using a gill net to catch the shad that are swimming around the light. Hook a shad through the eyes, drop him to the bottom and jig back up slowly untill you find the depth the fish are holding. Once you find this depth, you can just drop to that spot again and again. But you gotta realize, it aint just crappie your gonna catch. The bite is usually light, and you will only notice the rod feeling heavy, so I always use one rod and hold it in my hand instead of a holder. Plus I like to jig it up and down to entice a bite. Also, stay away for the full moon, this works much better the darker it is.

TreednNC
05-03-2012, 07:58 AM
Qbeam Starfire IIs over a drop off in an are you know has bait. No you dont have to be on bait, but it's nice to know the immediate 500yd radius isnt void of life. Dont worry about having green lights....they may work, but certainly no better than white. LEDs may save you some battery, but Ive yet to see one produce as much fish attracting light at the starfire IIs.

Over 500 crappie in the last 3 outings....yes I have fished same way with green lights....no I didnt catch many fish under them.

Crappie Vermonster
05-03-2012, 08:33 AM
I had my first really good night crappie fishing ever two nights ago they where hitting so hard they felt and fought like bass. I had a thill slip bobber that lights up when it hits the water it was great watching the light zip under the water and take off. The spot I was fishing was on shore in a canal off from the main lake with a colvert under the road 1' to 5' of water and lots of brush in the water. I dident have any minnows so I used a small glow in the dark jig head and a gulp alive glow minnow but I thinck any glow lure would work like the bobby garland plastics. Stayed out till 11:30 they where still biteing but my lamp was dyeing and my line broke on the brush and I lost my only night time bobber cant wait to go in the boat great fun especially because I did not expect to catch any give it a try

Howie
05-03-2012, 12:30 PM
I love my reel lights that I bought from Bob. I bought two and have been very happy I did.

"G"
05-03-2012, 12:33 PM
You can't beat Reel-Lites.....tough as nails, low amp draw, no heat ............ just a great light.

Bob # 1
05-03-2012, 04:59 PM
I love my reel lights that I bought from Bob. I bought two and have been very happy I did.
Thank you Howie

The best part is those lights will last you 17 years, or 50,000 hour bulbs
There is NO heat so you don't have to worry about keeping it in the water.

As G mentioned low amp draw, as mentioned before, ran the 714 LED for 30 hours
on 8 D size battery pack and the light was still going.....going.....going

TreednNC
05-03-2012, 07:57 PM
Send me one Bob, ill test it where I've been wearing em out with starfires and I will gladly endorse them on here as hard as I do the starfires should results be comparable :biggrin

skiptomylu
05-03-2012, 10:28 PM
Thank you Howie

The best part is those lights will last you 17 years, or 50,000 hour bulbs
There is NO heat so you don't have to worry about keeping it in the water.

As G mentioned low amp draw, as mentioned before, ran the 714 LED for 30 hours
on 8 D size battery pack and the light was still going.....going.....going

That light is yours? I have a thing about lights because I don't need one, but I think I want one. Let me ask I see below them it has 3 colors so how does that work, you choose what color you want or can you change them some way?

Also what is the 20' or 40' mean? Is that the length of the wire?

Skip

NeonMoon
05-04-2012, 08:55 AM
I agree, Bob's lights are quality items. Keep in mind, in the heat of summer, there's nothing worse than fighting the bugs gas lanterns draw by the swarm. Minimal lighting is what I prefer, which includes the ones you clip of the brim of a hat, and are used only as needed.

Buy a light from Bob, and you won't regret it. Buy once, cry once (as opposed to continually replacing cheaper ones).

skiptomylu
05-04-2012, 09:09 AM
I agree, Bob's lights are quality items. Keep in mind, in the heat of summer, there's nothing worse than fighting the bugs gas lanterns draw by the swarm. Minimal lighting is what I prefer, which includes the ones you clip of the brim of a hat, and are used only as needed.

Buy a light from Bob, and you won't regret it. Buy once, cry once (as opposed to continually replacing cheaper ones).

If you have not tried a Thermacell for the bugs, you should as they work and work well. I don't use a light at all unless I need to re-tie or find something.

Bob # 1
05-04-2012, 09:17 AM
That light is yours? I have a thing about lights because I don't need one, but I think I want one. Let me ask I see below them it has 3 colors so how does that work, you choose what color you want or can you change them some way?

Also what is the 20' or 40' mean? Is that the length of the wire?

Skip

Lights colors are not interchangable, the concept is patented am not allowed to pursue it. (Tried)
Yes 20' FEET, or 40' FEET cords

Bob # 1
05-04-2012, 09:23 AM
Send me one Bob, ill test it where I've been wearing em out with starfires and I will gladly endorse them on here as hard as I do the starfires should results be comparable :biggrin

Sorry, my dance card is full..................
See here
(http://www.crappie.com/crappie/member-sponsor-classified-ads/212502-everybody-talking-about-reel-lites.html#post1904297)

Crappie Reaper
05-04-2012, 10:15 PM
I use a Hoppys Blacklights - Pro Glow Series (http://www.wetlandoutfitters.com/hoppys_blacklights.htm) Hoppy Black Light. I have 6 interior LED lights rigged on the inside of my boat that I use just for walking around and finding things. They stay off unless needed. I stopped using any lights in the water years ago. I use a clip on 3 LED adjustable light on the bill of my cap for tying purposes. I use clear blue flourescent line on my night rods. That line under a black light shows the slightest of bites. Jumping Cholla Jigs lights are worth looking at! I tie up or anchor over brush. With the HDS 8, I can see if the brush is holding fish before I start. I've no reason to try and attract bait fish. The blacklights don't seem to attract near as many bugs, and the bugs they attract are a good 3' -4' from me. I love using a blacklight at night during the spawn while using a bobber. Most bobbers these days are flourescent and show up very well under a black light.

I've tried about every way I can think of for catching Crappie at night and a black light is the most comfortable night fishing trip I've ever experienced. It's almost like fishing in the dark, but being able to see the bite better than you would in broad daylight. You also don't use near the battery power you would with a starfire or any other type of light that hangs over the boat. Gas powered lanterns? No thanks, only thing I want using unleaded gas is the boat motor.

There is another "Low Profile" Black light on the market called a "Stan Sloan". It's a very good light as well with some models also having a white light included for lighting up the inside of the boat. Either way, I find a Black Light at night a MUST and wouldn't consider going out at night without one. Stay away from the ones Walmart sells....junk... Expect to spend about $125 for a good black light, they're worth it!

Those of you who have never fished under a black light are missing out.

Spawn
05-05-2012, 10:42 AM
Is possible to do the same on a dock?

CrappiePappy
05-05-2012, 12:07 PM
Is possible to do the same on a dock?

With sufficient water depth, & cover present .... absolutely !!

... cp :cool:

slab-in-the-box
05-05-2012, 01:32 PM
x2 on starfires can't beat em for $13

FIN
05-05-2012, 03:14 PM
I use a Hoppys Blacklights - Pro Glow Series (http://www.wetlandoutfitters.com/hoppys_blacklights.htm) Hoppy Black Light. Those of you who have never fished under a black light are missing out.

I find this very interesting. Do you fish clear water? Will this method work in stained water?
Fin

river scum
05-07-2012, 12:53 PM
"reel-lites" are the ticket! way better than halogens and other lights, because they are versitile. they can do double duty as a work light or tail gate/yard party lights. they are very durable and dont get hot(IN OR OUT OF WATER). very very low batt. draw. bulbs will way outlast other lights on the market. treat them rite and they should out live you! lol

"REEL-LITES" are just a better light!

river scum
05-07-2012, 12:58 PM
I find this very interesting. Do you fish clear water? Will this method work in stained water?
Fin

i fish a very muddy(visability 3inches at times) low land reservior with the "reel lites" and it worked great. i use a large green one to draw in the shad. the catfish and crappie fallow after about 30min.. along with the chum bag its deadly! shoot, it should be illegal. lol

"REEL-LITES" BRING THE FISH TO YOU

Crappie Reaper
05-07-2012, 10:07 PM
Fin

The lake I fish is usually stained. I just prefer the darkness while night fishing and the black light illuminates the lines and bobbers. You'll see the slightest movement in your line better under a black light than broad daylight. I have used the starfire in the past, I haven't tried the green lights. The area I fish is covered with shad virtually year round, so attracting baitfish doesn't seem to help much. I try to concentrate on the same brushpiles I find productive during the day. You know there's a lot of shad if you shoot a bright spotlight over the water and everywhere the light hits the water stirs the shad up. The crappie don't have to follow the shad on oologah, most times they'll just hang out where they feel safe and wait for the bait to come to them, unless they are changing spots themselves.

TreednNC
05-08-2012, 03:25 PM
"reel-lites" are the ticket! way better than halogens and other lights, because they are versitile. they can do double duty as a work light or tail gate/yard party lights. they are very durable and dont get hot(IN OR OUT OF WATER). very very low batt. draw. bulbs will way outlast other lights on the market. treat them rite and they should out live you! lol

"REEL-LITES" are just a better light!

I'm sort of a light junky...flashlights and all. If I want yard lights I have flood lights. If I want something for the tailgate, I got a flashlight or cargo light on the truck :D

I'm just not sure if I can replicate the success I have with starfires, and if it aint broke I wont fix it ;)

TreednNC
05-08-2012, 03:34 PM
x2 on starfires can't beat em for $13

I've tried a few others but just can't beat em

Wood_Duck
05-08-2012, 10:37 PM
I have used the floating lights, green submersibles, etc and what seems the best thing in the world to me is clamp lights. I have a power inverter in the boat and put little cheapo clamplights like you would use around a garage or workbench on the gunnels.

BULLFROG-1
05-09-2012, 12:13 AM
Well,Im not selling anything so all the different types of lights i own likely arent the greatest.But,,,i have had a many a great memories made with a Coleman lantern and yes all them before mention bugs if the wind died down.....................Them bugs hit that hot lantern and attract little bug eaten fishs and i think them little fishies attract bigger fishies.I regularly use green and white lights when theres no trees to put a nail to hang a lantern.if i had to use only one color of light it would be white.My trolling motor battery will handle multiply lights including car light floating in a Styrofoam holder for longer than i can stand to fish now a days(I wouldnt purchase a boat battery that wouldnt handle all my needs. I even hook up a inverter to it at the same time as the lights so i can plug in my air pump so my shiners want die on these hot southern nights.:popcorn

Crappie Reaper
05-09-2012, 07:47 AM
I have used the floating lights, green submersibles, etc and what seems the best thing in the world to me is clamp lights. I have a power inverter in the boat and put little cheapo clamplights like you would use around a garage or workbench on the gunnels.

I used to use the aluminum clamp lights. I would install a couple of regular household electric outlets and wire them into the battery. I did this to avoid using clamps or splicing a wire or an old extension cord with clamps attached. I would use a 60 watt 12 volt rough service bulb in the clamp light. Any time I remodel a boat, I install and wire 2 outlets in the back, and 2 outlets in the front just for using a clamp light.

With all lighting on a boat, one must consider the amount of draw and batteries available to power everything. Six hours of use of a clamp light will milk a good trolling motor battery down to nothing. An extra battery onboard for me is a must. I love working the shallow creek banks at night during the spawn and a properly placed clamp light will give you light in the boat as well as show you what the bank looks like. I'll drop a minnow next to every stick I come across and will quietly work a downed tree top like a brain surgeon trying to figure out what makes Crappypappy tick.Rofl If I'm lucky enough to find a red hot spot, I'll tie off, shut down the clamp light and turn on the black light. I haven't fished a creek during the spawn in a long time, but if I did, I wouldn't change a thing. The method is one of the most effective I've ever found for finding the big boyz.