Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Brake Light Problem (94 Chevy)

Post Thanks / Like

Default Brake Light Problem (94 Chevy)

Help please. I don't have any brake lights on truck or trailer. The R & L blinkers work ok. Both fuses for brakes are OK. Someone said it was the brake light switch so I replaced it. That failed to fix the problem. The emergency flashers even work. What is my problem?
    Trump is like the guy that comes on the playground and beats up on the guys that's been pushing you around for the last 30 or 40 years.

Post Thanks / Like

Hey Ricky......Your left and right turn signals are working, emergency flashers are good, fuses are good but they should be checked with an ohmmeter for continuity if you haven't done that. Sometimes a bad fuse doesn't look burned. Also, you need to check to see if voltage is present on one of the wires on your brake switch, which will require a dc voltmeter. If you don't have a volt/ohmeter you can get one at Radio Shack at a decent price. Check to see if the brake switch is engageing the button on the switch to complete the circuit when you press the brake. This can also be done by hand just pressing the button manually, but have someone at the rear of the vehicle to let you know if the brake lights come on. That's all I can tell you for now. Post your results after you try all this. The worse scenario is having to trace the wires from the brake switch to the lights...

Post Thanks / Like

I recently had trouble with my left brake light. Everything checked out to be ok. Bulb, wiring, etc. I found the problem to be in the bulb socket itself (fixture). The bulb is not the old basic 1157 that chevy used for years, but one of the newer style bulbs. It turned out that one of the tabs down in the socket was not making a good connection, and that over the years had corroded a bit. All I did to fix it was to take an angled scribe tool, (anything small with a sharp point will do) and stick it into the space behind the tab for the connectors, and re-bend it back towards the bulb. I then replaced the bulb into the socket and presto, steady brake light, and signal. I am not sure if this will correct your problem. You may have a bit of corrosion on the wiring connectors that feed your truck system, and your trailer system. You can try disconnecting the feed, take a toothpick and place a small bit of wheel bearing grease into the holes of the connectors. This will help with the connection, as well as, protect them from future corrosion.
    Reaper, Where Fish come to Fry

S10CHEVY is offline Crappie.com 3K Star General - Moderator Pennsylvania
    Post Thanks / Like

I also have a 94 Chevy truck, and my right turn signal and brake light weren't working. Just got it fixed tonight. Had to replace the whole unit, as the terminal board went bad. They come in sets, bought mine at Auto Zone, for $31.00 and some change. If nothing else works, then this would be the next thing to do.

Post Thanks / Like

The problem is fixed. After many hrs. tinkering, checking, and consulting with others on forums and phone. This is what I think happened……I first looked at the fuse that said “brake”. Without checking it with a meter. It was ok. I told a man at Auto Zone about my problem and he thought it might be the brake light switch. When I got home I installed the switch (that was fun). That didn’t work. I found another fuse that said “brake” it was bad but that didn’t fix it. I checked the bulbs in the back after someone told me that there was a separate bulb just for brakes. (I have owned this truck since the end of ’03 and only replaced one license plate bulb) This is news to me! I put the old switch back on and everything works fine. Looks like what I had was a bad fuse plus a bad "new" switch. If I had seen the other brake fuse first this would have me a lot of trouble. How many would think to look for another brake fuse after you found the first one? Still don’t know what the first brake fuse goes to. After you pull it the brake lights still work!!!

Thanks for all your help
    Trump is like the guy that comes on the playground and beats up on the guys that's been pushing you around for the last 30 or 40 years.

Post Thanks / Like

I'm not sure but the first one may go to the ABS system (anti-loc brake )