Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: How do you deal with boats throwing big wakes?

NIMROD is offline Crappie.com Legend - Kids Corner Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like

Default How do you deal with boats throwing big wakes?

My boat sets low in the water and some folks cruise along half speed with bow up or folks setting on the bow. They leave a huge wake when they could leave room between us or slow down. It's nothing for some to pass within 50' while there is a mile of open water to pass. Sometimes it's so bad they wet my feet on the bow of my boat! I would rather some stay on plane and go on by. How do you handle this? I know this has been said before but I needed to vent before I explode! Some are just ignorant , some are inconsiderant, while others are both! Thinking about making a sign to hold up but it would'nt help with most.
    Moderator of Beginners n Mentoring forum
    Takeum Jigs

Post Thanks / Like

on the ignorant idiots that do it to be @## i just kuss under my breath and hope they catch a stump with the lower unit..

Post Thanks / Like

As much as I hate to be close buzzed at 50+mph I'd rather they stay up than make a halffast pass that leaves wakes a surfer would drool over. I honestly think that some folks believe they're doing you a favor by sort of slowing down. A lot of times that type will throw up a friendly hand just as they pass........ it might do some good to offer them a little education.

Then there's the guys that plow thru a posted no wake zone at half throttle ......... most I've seen have a lot of sparkles in their gel coat and are in a hurry from the time they leave home 'till the time they get back ............. nothing to do but pray for that lot.

As for wake boats and skidoos, that's why they're on the lake in the first place.

Wear waterproof shoes(or go barefoot), make sure your bilge pump is working, hold on to your seat, grit your teeth and remember that there's no honor in winning the biggest a55hole of the day award.
    You just gonna sit there an argue, or fish?
    ~Claud Ledbetter~

Post Thanks / Like

I wouldn't let it bother you. I honestly don't believe most of it is intentional, they just don't know. Over the years I've tried not to let other folks actions make or break my day. I watch some guys come into work all mad because of something someone did on the drive to work. I'm willing to bet 99% of the time the othe guy doesn't even know your alive.

On another thought if you have a boat without much free board, you should use caution where you take it.

Post Thanks / Like

Reminds me of my beef with restricted HP lakes. A 14 footer with 3 guys plowing along with a 9.9 throws a bigger wake than a bass boat going by at 50MPH. Forget the HP restriction, and just make the lake NO WAKE! I really believe folks slowing down to half throttle think they are doing you a favor. Kinda hard to wave someone over and explain things to them though.

Post Thanks / Like

If I see them coming the second time. I have a 12 foot tuna rod with 300# powerpro and a 16 oz. catfish sinker to use as a reminder.

Post Thanks / Like

I normally don't acknowledge their friendly wave. Some don't realize what they're doing as they've never owned a smaller boat. Others know what they do and it's out of spite. I'll normally shake my head in disgust as they go by, and have been known to offer up a one finger salute if the wake is extremely big. I've never had any problems being very nice on the water, OR turning into Mr. Hyde when prompted. The absolute worst boaters are the Sons that get to take their Daddys boat out for the day. Most of them have needed their butts handed to them their entire life and have been raised to not have a clue.
    Reaper, Where Fish come to Fry

Post Thanks / Like

Now Reaper, let's not get hot under the collar over this............................ just mount an M60 on the side of the boat and when they go by smile REAL big and grin. Maybe ya might pat 'YOUR BUDDY" IF THEY GET TOO CLOSE. I bet they won't buzz you again. Just a suggestion......... just trying to help

Post Thanks / Like

Next time just call ahead and reserve the lake for yourself so yall wont be bothered with us common folk.

NIMROD is offline Crappie.com Legend - Kids Corner Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jessemae View Post
    Next time just call ahead and reserve the lake for yourself so yall wont be bothered with us common folk.
    Years ago I remember one getting an 8 oz lead river weight tossed at a glass boat. He turned around raising heck but was greeted with pea shooter, lol The conversation was short. Rofl
    Moderator of Beginners n Mentoring forum
    Takeum Jigs

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast