Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Smithville 4/28

Post Thanks / Like

Default Smithville 4/28

I fished this morning for a couple hours on the main lake coves . Started at 6:00 am casting a roadrunner in 7-10' . Picked up several keepers , then when the wind picked up and the bite slowed a little in shallower water , I started dipping trees in 10-14' with 1/16 oz jigs . I picked up some nice female white crappie , and finished with a limit . About half were females , with average size around 10" with a few up to 12" . Nothing huge , yet good eaters . I think the spawn is underway , yet they are not tight to the bank during the day from what I have experienced . Maybe I'll hit the woods and do a little Turkey hunting in the morning .

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the report Scott. Way to adjust and find them. They certainly weren't on the bank today like they were earlier in the week. I agree about the spawn being underway .. at least on certain parts of the lake.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by billd2626 View Post
    Thanks for the report Scott. Way to adjust and find them. They certainly weren't on the bank today like they were earlier in the week. I agree about the spawn being underway .. at least on certain parts of the lake.
    I noticed some of the females were half full of eggs , so I figured they were in the process of spawning . It's been kind of an off year for the spawn , with the warm weather a couple weeks ago moving them up on the banks , then the colder weather pushing them back out . I just hope it will be a succesfull spawning year for the fish .

Post Thanks / Like

Good job Scott and good luck with that turkey. Last year I killed a turkey opening day and went out that same evening and caught a limit of crappie. One of the best days of my life!
    Seth M.

Post Thanks / Like

it was very tough for me up the river today. only 3 keepers

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by kc outdoorsman View Post
    it was very tough for me up the river today. only 3 keepers
    Was the water muddy upriver ? I thought about making a run up that way soon .

Post Thanks / Like

nice going, pretty nice day on the water. and good luck on the turkey

Post Thanks / Like

Fisherman's Daughter, my neighbor and I went out about 5PM and fished until 8PM. We tried shallows first and found them to be very cold, then drifted out to slightly deeper water, maybe 8-12 feet, and found decent success dipping trees, etc. Overall we caught about 35, mostly on minnows but a few on a small spinner bait (neighbor's idea) that seemed fairly productive. Kept males over 10" and ended up with only 3 in the live well. Probably would have had around 8 or so had we kept anything legal and females as well. In other words, mostly dinks, but it was fun catching them.

Good luck with the turkey Scott!!!

Bruce

Post Thanks / Like

I went out and sat in the blind while Turkey hunting this morning and rode out a severe thunderstorm . Had lightening cracking all around me . Not fun . I might go fishing in the morning if I can catch a break in the rain . Not really into Turkey hunting when the crappie are spawning .

Post Thanks / Like

I went out with my neighbor and his 7 year old son. First cove across from Branch and on my first to dips, 2 8.5 inchers. We all got excited but they had lockjaw for us. Moved the boat into the cove a little deeper and again I caught two right away then nothing. One keeper out of 4 for me total. 7 year old caught a 12 incher loaded with eggs so we threw her back, and one dink. Fun to on the water and really fun seeing his eyes light up while hauling in the "big one".
    2001 Tracker Targa W/T with a 90ELPTO Mercury
    2008 F250 6.4 Powerstroke

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast