Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Bait Tank Filter

Post Thanks / Like

Default Bait Tank Filter

I seen a thread a while back about making a minnow tank filter using the PVC or bucket method. Does anyone have that info handy? looking at building a filter for a 55 gallon barrell.

Post Thanks / Like

I'm needing a filter for my 55gal baittank too. Ive been considering getting a pond pump/filter from lowes but havent decided yet.

Post Thanks / Like

I dont see why that wouldn't work. someone on here made theier own and was a fraction of the cost of a manufactured one. I did find one where they took a 5 gallon bucket, put pea gravel in the bottom, put charcoal filter above that. Push the water in from the bottom and get your clean water from the top. that way all the water gets pushed through the pea gravel and filter material. of course you need a pump to pull the water from the barrel. Going to try that method whenever I get the time.

Post Thanks / Like

Here's for what its worth on what I built. I am sure there are better cheapers ways but at least a starting point.

Started with a $10 fountain pump from Harbor Freight (sure there are many places to pick this up but was the cheapest I found) that had a nipple for the water outlet. Got a piece of hose (3/8 or so that fit the nipple from Lowes) for the clean water to exit out of. I used a scrap piece of 4" PVC pipe, a 4" inch coupler, and a couple of pipe caps to allow access to each of the pipe.

If you can follow my descriptions, I used a short piece (say 12 inches) on each end of the coupler. On the filter end of the coupler, I found a plastic screen insert (grated, I think it is like a varmit cover) that slides in the 4" pipe. The purpose of this grate/screen is to keep your charcoal on one end of the coupler, away from the pump end of the coupler. The grate I used slides internally into the pipe and then the pipe slides into the coupling (Lowes had the grate in the plumbing section with the PVC fittings). I drilled small holes in the filter end of the pipe to allow water to enter the pipe near the capped end of the pipe. I dumped charcoal (found in the pet section of Wal-mart for tropical fish) on the grate, stuffed cotton from the fabric section of Wal-mart like you put into pillows, then capped the filter end of the pipe off. What you have is an entrance for water to enter (drilled holes), soaking thru the cotton filter, passing thru the charcoal as it enters the coupling. The only purpose of the coupling is allowing for the insertion of the grated varmit insert to keep the charcoal from entering the pump end of the pipe. Otherwise I could have used one short piece of pipe but I wanted separation between the filter and the pump.

On the pump end I simply notched the pipe to allow the power access when the cap is placed on the end of the pipe. I drilled a hole (size of the outside diameter for the fresh water hose) for the fresh/cleaned water hose to exit the pipe.

I am sure my directions lack however the basics include a filter chamber consisting of cotton and charcoal and a pump that simply sucks the water in and blows it out the tube back into the bait tank.

The same thing could be done with any container as long as you can suck the water thru the filter (cotton/charcoal) and a hose to exit the close water from the container. I actually opted to spend a few more dollars and used a 4" cleanout plug to allow threaded access to change the cotton in the filter rather than prying off a cap.

Hope this helps as I typically would not try to keep minnows for weeks at a time but rather to keep the extras from one weekend to the next.

Post Thanks / Like

I use a 5 gal. bucket on my 55 gal drum for a filter. I ran the hose from the pump to the bottom of the bucket then filled the bucket 1/3rd the way up with clean pea gravel then I snuck in the bedroom and stole a few pairs of the wifes hose and filled them aquarium charcol - this way its easy to remove and replace.Next I took a big peice of natural sponge and filled the remaining space in the bucket up to 2" from the topgives me about 5" of spongr/filtration, to clean just pull out the sponge and rinse out with a garden hose.I have the bucket sat on a table that sets the bucket top about 2" above the drum , I drilled a 1 1/2" hole about 1"above the sponge and ran a peice of PVC pipe from the bucket back into my 55 gal. drum. It works great, main thing is to get a pump strong eough to pump the water up thru the bucket slowly and to draw the water from the bottom of your 55 gal drum since this is where all the bad stuffs at. I clean my filter once a month or as needed.

Post Thanks / Like

I use a two tanks for different bait. Both are 125 gallon cattle buckets. I pump with a cheap fountain pump, the water to a tubberware storage box and a top spray bar. I use pvc tubing and a ball valve to adjust presure. In the storage box I have three layers of filters. That foam like stuff on top, then a bag of charcoil (use a dollar store stocking wash bag) then I have some air filter padding under it. Cut a hole for the water to drain and place on two boards on top of tank.
    Cost:
    Tank: 75 bucks
    Pump: 38 bucks
    PVC supplies: 28 bucks
    Filter supplies; 24 bucks
    Bag for delicates: 1 buck
    Tubberware storage box; 12 bucks

Total 178.00

Capt Mike