Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: need help from dock shooters

Post Thanks / Like

Default need help from dock shooters

I have just started back fishing after 15 years golfing. A friend started me fishing docks and boat houses, but just casting when water was down early. He told me about seeing people shooting and I started researching, was hooked. I did well while they were shallow but that seems to be about over. Can I get some help,what to look for and anything else that will help. I fish wheeler lake, anderson creek on elk river is where I have been fishing. Does anyone fish the big river, not looking for some ones honey hole just a little help. This is my second post so hope this is correct. thats 65+

Post Thanks / Like

Fish have moved a little bit deeper here in al. My theory is right after spawn they dont move far if you have been catching a good bit of fish on certain docks try goin back to those docks but backing of of them to 10-15 feet of water use your fish finder if you have one try to locate some brush or cover as close as you can to that dock but in deep water. This may not work for you but it has for me several times at Guntersville. When I stop catching them shallow I go straight to my spawning honey holes and back off of them and can normally find fish. Let me know if you try this and how it works out for you.

skeetbum is offline Crappie.com Legend - Moderator Jig Tying Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Right now we are winding down the spawn, or it's over, I don't know which and the fish aint tellin. Some docks in shallow water might still produce int he bright sun, but it's a good rule of thumb to have several to choose from in different depths, or different distances from the river channel. Time on the water is the best teacher, and patience your best friend. You'll learn which ones to go back to, and keep your cards close to your chest.
    Creativity is just intelligence fooling around

Post Thanks / Like

I like to generally fish docks in the 8' to 15' range year round. The older the dock, the better the fishing in most cases.
    HAND TIED CRAPPIE JIGS CRAPPIECOLLECTORS JIGS

https://www.etsy.com/shop/CRAPPIECOL...g_id=515350944

Post Thanks / Like

fish deeper docks. use an arkie 1/8 or 1/6 weedless shoot an let fall wacth your line you may not fill the bite. i have fish docks as deep as 40ft. you will find some fish on shallow docks all year to. you need to find a lot of docks to much pressure will mess up the best dock on the lake. i always leve 'em as soon as it gets slow. if you fish a dock out it will take a long time to fill up again. you leve some an you can go back an wack /em a week later.

Post Thanks / Like

thanks for the infro, i do need to find more docks in deeper water. i do agree you can fish a dock to much because just starting that is what i have done. what little i know has been posted on this site. thanks for sharing, 65+ and retired

Post Thanks / Like

to the forum from Texas. I'm a dock shooter too. I have found when you
    can't shoot 'em, get a longer pole and reach back into the darkness and drop a
    jig in front of 'em. I fish both shallow and deep docks and check the shore line
    periodically for a late spawner. When your catchin', your winning. Good Luck.
    "Proud Member of Team Geezer"

skeetbum is offline Crappie.com Legend - Moderator Jig Tying Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by RetiredRR View Post
    to the forum from Texas. I'm a dock shooter too. I have found when you
    can't shoot 'em, get a longer pole and reach back into the darkness and drop a
    jig in front of 'em. I fish both shallow and deep docks and check the shore line
    periodically for a late spawner. When your catchin', your winning. Good Luck.

That's good info. I have at least 2 docks that I have to let the jig come to rest before they will hit, and the longer rod is just the ticket. Keep in mind this will progress into reaching places that you have no hope of netting a fish out of, and a long handle net is a must also. Over a walkway in front of a boat is a bear to retrieve a big fish out of.
    Creativity is just intelligence fooling around