Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: 5 or 6 pound bass i caught while crappie fishing.... Rocky Fork

Post Thanks / Like

Default 5 or 6 pound bass i caught while crappie fishing.... Rocky Fork

Im going to try and upload some pics of this beast... ive caught a bass that was over 5 lbs, and one over 7 lbs before, and this one was closer to the 7 lb bass... didnt get a weight as i was crappie fishing and had nothing to measure him, nor weigh him with... took an accurate measurement with the fishing pole and measured when we got home, he was 20" long and was VERY thick... but not sure it was a female with eggs, just HEALTH thick... had him hooked on a 1/16 oz jig with minnow until he shook his head coming out of the water and got loose.. he then proceeded to chase around 8 inch crappie that were on nest... i ran up to the truck and got out ( for the first time ever to use them ) a pack of banjo minnows... tied one on, he hits it... i give a good hook set and it pops out of his mouth, and i about puke... throw in again, hit him with the minnow, he turns.... nails it and take off straight out into the lake... i set the hook and start cranking him in... no fight to him i didnt let him.. i was using 6 Lb crappie max line and a crappie pole... this was out of rocky fork lake in less than 3 foot of water..... the fish was released within 3 mins of being caught.... will try to upload pics....

Post Thanks / Like

There is something about this year that has brought out the largemouths around here (Minneapolis) into crappie forage areas. We have taken more this year fishing crappies than we have ever seen before. These are all on crappie baits as small as 1/48th oz heads and inch and a quarter little shads. The one I got tonight was one of the smaller ones at maybe 3 pounds. The little bass have always been around but this year we have taken more 5 pound and larger ones than in all our previous years put together, the biggest being 23", all on crappie tackle and crappie presentations. Season for largemouths around here doesn't open for about a month yet either. Very strange year, but a bonus is a bonus and I will take all I can get. All ours have been thick, deep fish, too, just like yours. We have also been getting cutoffs already likely from both pike and muskies, and have landed a couple of good pike besides.

It is getting to the point that we never know just what is going to be in the crappie holes this spring! I have never seen a spring like this one!

Post Thanks / Like

They love crappie jigs over here!