Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Did I see YOU slow trolling on Mark Twain today???

Post Thanks / Like

Default Did I see YOU slow trolling on Mark Twain today???

Fished Sandy Creek with a buddy today. Got on the water at around 8....temp was MAYBE 40 and the wind was howling. Fishing was tough....fish were very scattered...we tried shallow, deep and deeper. Ended up keeping 18 nice BIG fat crappie between us...mostly females and mostly caught tossing jigs in 25 foot of water. Fish were 12-15 foot deep for the most part but when they did hit they usually hit it hard and ate it.

Saw a guy in a Ranger with a 200hp Evinrude running three long rods rigged out the front trolling VERY slowly and practically not moving at all at times. Looked like he was catching some fish....was that YOU??

Took a couple pics of a Great Blue Heron who stopped for a visit. Also a couple pics at the fish cleaning station.
    Attached Images Attached Images     

Post Thanks / Like

Not a bad day if you brought home 18 fat ones. Thanks for the report and pictures.

Post Thanks / Like

What is that Striped feesh in there!

Nicely done sir........ look like some fat bellies on a few of them. What did the eggs look like?

U

Post Thanks / Like

Nice report, good pics!!! Thanks for sharing! And no it was not me!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Route U View Post
    What is that Striped feesh in there!

Nicely done sir........ look like some fat bellies on a few of them. What did the eggs look like?

U
    Them striped fish taste good too....I like with Blackening seasoning and grilled over hot charcoal....yum. Kept 6 of em on Friday....only managed one today.

The crappie eggs looked early to me....medium yella with NO blood or veins. Didn't catch any fish that looked like they'd been fanning either.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by archer66 View Post
    Them striped fish taste good too....I like with Blackening seasoning and grilled over hot charcoal....yum. Kept 6 of em on Friday....only managed one today.
    I agree, although they rarely make it into the well........ actually caught more of those this year than I can remember. Definitely a fun fighting fish, and now that you mention blackening them, I have a hankerin for fish tacos. The next one might not be so lucky!

Thanks for the report!

U

Post Thanks / Like

I don't keep any largemouth bass I catch but I consider white bass FOOD and keep any I catch that are big enough to filet. They aren't as good to eat as crappie but I like em.

Post Thanks / Like

If they have a red strip down the middle of the fillet cut it out and they will taste better. That goes with any fish. I thin they taste better with that part removed.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by perchplucker View Post
    If they have a red strip down the middle of the fillet cut it out and they will taste better. That goes with any fish. I thin they taste better with that part removed.

Agreed but I don't cut it out of white bass....too much of it there and if the fish isn't an 18 incher you aren't left with much. It's not strong enough in whites that it bothers me in the least. Here's a pic of my last effort.....Blackened White Bass on the grill....
    Attached Images Attached Images   

Post Thanks / Like

Now we're talkin............ any special seasoning recipe to it? Looks awesome!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast