Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Bass Fisherman looking for some help

Post Thanks / Like

Default Bass Fisherman looking for some help

Hey guys, just recently joined this forum, mainly for the information it held for Sonar equipment. I recently purchased a new boat, a 2012 Z7 Nitro. My wife has been trying her heart out to catch a fish and I just can't seem to make a Bass bite her lure she is using. SO, I'm thinking I could possibly get her on a School of Crappie and possibly get her a fish or two.

With that said, could you guys teach me how to catch Crappie during the evening time from say 6pm to just before Dark? Like, where should I look for the Crappie? What should I use? I need a sure fire way to get her some Fish on the other end of the line so I can keep her interested and possibly get her so excited about it that she allows me to purchase more gear! hehe

Thanks a bunch guys

Post Thanks / Like

First off get some light rods and reels and 4 lb.test, you can catch them on the bass stuff but 4lb.test works best. I use1/32 jigheads and I like Bobby Garland jigs, the baby shad work great. Look for docks with about 15 fow in front of them with brush, also blowdown trees will work. Just get in a creek and start going dock to dock and with luck you will find some fish Hope this helps, what lake do you fish?..Dennis

Post Thanks / Like

I fish Eufaula and West Point and a Local Lake here nearby Lake Oliver. I found that it's really easy to fish the Chattahoochee River so I'm wanting to find a good place in the river to catch some Crappie. Where would I look for a School or two in the River? Coves? Coves with Creeks?

Thanks a bunch

skeetbum is offline Crappie.com Legend - Moderator Jig Tying Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Back of coves around structure and blow downs and fish attractors, 10fow or less. Jig n float rig about 2 1/2' deep will get you started. Minnow imitation or black/chartreuse will keep it simple. Leave the minnows in the store. Slow presentation. Good luck.
    Creativity is just intelligence fooling around

Post Thanks / Like

Them guys pretty much nailed it. I suspect in a month or so after ya get tired of watching yer wife boat fish after fish while your thrashing the water, you will be asking more about setting up that Nitro for some trolling. But it is ok, thats why we are here.RoflRofl

Post Thanks / Like

Good luck man. Those dumb old Bass are way easier to get to bite than these picky Crappie.

Post Thanks / Like

They sure did nail it.
    I am going to add a couple of minor points.
    -We have the best response to the Baby Shads using a "shad" pattern, dark to black on top with a white or pearl white belly. You might also add some inch and a half tubes, red and chartruese sparkle and/or black and chartruese sparkle. While it might not be the fastest bite, one or the other of those three will almost certainly turn a crappie or few, if there are any to be had where you are fishing.
    -Do not restict you dock presentations to the end of the dock. Also work up the arms. A good dock that reaches from shore across a decent weedbed to 15 to 20 fow is an excellent structural pathway and crappies will follow it up and into the weed bed, especially in the evenings, once you find the right docks. If you get to the point of limiting out and you have a real SmackDown bite going, stop just short and work out the feeding frenzy by releasing the rest of your catch. There is no better learning opportunity than this. And no quicker way to turn a casual fisherman (or -woman) into a crappie addict. (That converts a lot of bass fishermen, too.)
    -Lastly do not be surprised if the missus ends up outfishing you for bass in the process. Both largemouths and smallies show up regularly on the little plastics; so make sure the drag on her reel is set properly.

Post Thanks / Like

You could always hire a guide.
    Carl's Guide Service
    Sardis Lake
    Enid Lake
    Grenada Lake
    901-734-7536