Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Old men in kayak’s

Post Thanks / Like

Default Old men in kayak’s

I fished with Z-man today. Couple of old men in kayak’s. I’m 43 and Z-man’s 62. For anyone on the board that’s thinking about giving a kayak a try, if we can do it anyone can. We were back in a swamp/back water that Lake Wheeler floods into a couple times a year.

I caught a couple a hundred plus, tossed lots of keepers back since the freezers full. Kept a good mess to cook for dinner tonight. The old thing better than Crappie if fresh that’s never been frozen. I floated a few jug lines and got the three catfish. Beautiful day to be on the water.

Shout out to Z-man, several of these fish are his, including the largest one on the bottom left.

Name:  Picture1.jpg
Views: 1014
Size:  56.6 KB

Post Thanks / Like

Nice catch man show us the after pics tooo!
    Alan
    ------------------
    Tight Lines to all
    Roll Tide Roll

Post Thanks / Like

oh buy the way ya'll ain't old yet
    Alan
    ------------------
    Tight Lines to all
    Roll Tide Roll

Post Thanks / Like

Not old for fishing, just a little old for paddeling swamps in a kayak!!

Post Thanks / Like

Default The YOUNGER Old Man in a kayak

Dude, at 62, ....the kayak wasn't the only think draggin' ! The numbers were not up to last trip, but all that I caught we NICE ....Ya'll been hollering for pics of the kayaks rigged out ...

Name:  IMAG0287.jpg
Views: 561
Size:  54.1 KB

That's my pole sticking into the picture from the left. Note: NO BANK FISHERMAN IN THE PICTURE!

Z

Post Thanks / Like

That's a nice table of fish. And they say you can't teach an old dog new tricks. I wish they had roto-molded kayaks back in the 1960's.
    I fished slews out of a "home made" marine plywood 11 footer jon boat that weighted about 1/4 ton. Bought a 12 foot 42 inch bottom aluminum jon in 1967 and thought I had died and gone to heaven. It was loud though. Had to bee real careful moving or rubbing things around. That was a pretty good sized boat for back then.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ditch Basser View Post
    Not old for fishing, just a little old for paddeling swamps in a kayak!!
    Looks like it's paying off, big time!
    Alan
    ------------------
    Tight Lines to all
    Roll Tide Roll

Post Thanks / Like

Great catch very kool.are those kayaks easy to turn over?Do they have a back rest? because my back would be screaming after a few hours of sitting,do you take breaks to stretch?I have seen a kayak with foot paddles how would those work in our area?

Post Thanks / Like

That all looks like way too much fun!! Would a canoe portage be doable where you've been going thru the brush. My aluminum canoe is a little big at 18' but easy to carry.

Post Thanks / Like

Prior to buying this kayak last fall, I had only been in one 3 or 4 times. NO they are not "tipsy" ...I mean you can't be leaning or reaching 3 or 4 feet off to the side , or you will go swimmin' but ..they are QUITE stable. Note too - there are the long thing ones "ocean kayaks" for long range paddling, then there are the real short fat ones for rapids and real rough water, and then the middle sized ones we use. Mine is 11 ft long and rated for a 300 lb guy (sadly, I'm close!). Our "hike" around the Ditto area is about 1/4 mile. Last trip we both brought "wheels" little carriages that hold one end of the kayak while you pull the other end...and we stayed on the very muddy, full of pot holes "road"....it's still a chore but MUCH easier than dragging them - not as hard on the kayaks either. If you could carry your canoe 1/4 mile (and believe me, we take short breaks!) you could put in...but in MY mind - canoes ARE a bit more "tipsy". Also - we have coolers, tackle boxes, rods etc. I'm still learning what items I HAVE to bring, what I'd like to have with me, and what is just more junk that I now have to haul around. Yes the kayaks do have a back rest ..not great - basically a plastic piece held in place with straps, my back aches some - but probably more from leaning forward to paddle some - and I get cramps in my legs too ....but hey - if it was easy, everybody would be doing it! I was in Madison County Lake back in early March with 20+ MPH winds and whitecaps .....and COLD water. That trip didn't last that long!
    Z