Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What is your favorite batter mix for fish?

Post Thanks / Like

Default What is your favorite batter mix for fish?

Since we have been talking fish cooking I was just wondering what your favorite way to batter your fillets or whole fish are.

My wife prefers white cornmeal but I like Young's Fish Seasoning mix. I also have some friends that cook with Louisiana Fish Fry Mix. It's really good also. They also like to roll some sliced squash in the Louisiana Fish Fry and deep fry it after they cook their fish, man it's awesome!
    CATCH A BIG-UN

Post Thanks / Like

1 to 1 ratio of fine cornmeal to all purpose flour - add Emeril's Original Essence to season. Dry fish and coat with mixture, quickly dip both sides of fish into egg white wash (no yolks, folks!) and back into cornmeal/flour mixture. Fry at 370 degrees in small batches in clean oil.

Tasty!!

NIMROD is offline Crappie.com Legend - Kids Corner Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like

When I prepare my own it's yellow corn meal and flour equal parts . The yellow browns up better , mainly for looks. I've added salt , ground red pepper , or whatever suits me at the time .
    I used store bought dips for fish and they all seem real good . But most are quite expensive. I tried a commerical mix in 5 lb sacks . It was made by Golden Dipt , it is Southern Fish Fry Meal. It is good and beats paying a lot for those small packs at the store. I cook fish on the average of twice a week. You might get it at Sam's , I get it through a resturant that cooks fish.:D
    Moderator of Beginners n Mentoring forum
    Takeum Jigs

Post Thanks / Like

Yellow corn meal and a light mixture of Old Bay and Creole seasoning. I like the seasoning light or I can't taste the fish. I also don't dredge my fish, again it hides the flavor of the fish to much.

bella is offline Moderator TX Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

I like the Louisana Fish fry also Paint them lightly with mustard then batter um ==GREAT

BIG LEO

minnerhead Guest

Usally dip them in hot sauce and then batter in fish-n-d-lite a locally made batter. Its great.

Post Thanks / Like

I like Zatarans mix. I think that is how you spell it.

Post Thanks / Like

I am with dmbutler on this, Zattarans crispy southern with lemon is awesome, especially on bream. Be aware of the lemon pepper flavor though, it is a little spicy.

Post Thanks / Like

I have used Tony Cachere's the last few times I have fried. Everyone seems to love it. It has just a little spice, but even the young kids gobbled em up without mentioning the spices.

Post Thanks / Like

Louisiana Fish fry batter cajon or regular with some buttered musrooms or i mean morals.... Making me hungry again.......

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast