Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Hobby question

Post Thanks / Like

Default Hobby question

New hobbies always start out with a ton of questions. So this time I thought I would do some homework before jumping in over my head to decide.
    1. What are some of the different method used to get 2 colored baits? (head/tail, top/bottom, side/side)
    2. Are there different molds or injectors for this?
    3. When re-melting store bought plastic worms, what is the consistency I'm looking for? I heated a small amount in Pyrex, but it seems to cool very fast,
    almost before reaching the spout. Maybe I need something smaller.....any advice?

Seeing all your Ultra-Cool baits make it harder to resist the temptation.

Thanks for any advice
    NightProwler

Post Thanks / Like

Welcome to another hobby that will consume your time and/or your money Herb..

1. The aluminum injection molds are either two side halves or top and bottom, For example my Kmold pintail minnow mold is side by side but if I shoot the mold and cut the belly off and place it back in the mold I can shoot the second color to get a top/bottom laminate, If you plan on doing this in larger scale production you would be better off finding a top/bottom mold with a divider plate or a blending block setup (Ask others on that one..)

For head/tail just put a little veg oil on one side of the mold and shoot the tail color cut the tail off or put your finger over where you want it to break and pull the other half...I cut because it makes a better finished product... place it back in the mold and shoot your second color. pretty easy..

2. Molds and injectors, check out Caney Creek, Lurecraft, Bears, Jacobs, etc. I started with a bears medium, I do not like my Jacobs injector (too small of a spout)

3. Remelting plastic...it should hit 340-350 degrees and turn liquidy... it will burn fast though, I use a hotplate not a microwave but either works well. Buy a gallon of plastisol when you get your first mold and injector, be sure to shake well, I have a small dowel I stir it with before shaking... start with 4 oz of plastisol heat until starting to get jelly like when It starts to turn clear add 6-12 drops of your color, glitter, scent .. As soon as it hits liquid state start shooting...

Good luck! post your first batch! Its like christmas when ya open the mold.

Oh and first and foremost read the DO NOT DO sticky, this stuff can be very dangerous
    "Kids who hunt and fish dont steal and deal"

2012 NWR Bash Yellow Perch Champion
    2012 Buggs Bash Champion

Post Thanks / Like

I'd add that small amounts of plastic are the hardest to work with since they will lose heat the fastest. Keep in mind that bulk holds its own heat.

Some people place their jars of hot plastic on hot plates or griddles, but for casual use I make a hollow in a small soft towel next to my injection station that fits the bowls I use and when the plastic is up to temp I put the bowl in that hollow and I can shoot for quite a while. The towel helps to insulate the plastic.

Post Thanks / Like

Prowler

Going even further into the darkside huh buddy!!!!!!!!!!!! LOL Good luck - I'm not even gonna go there - I'd like to but I really don't want to get into the cost. I'd rather when I see some really cool pours or something I'd like poured ask the folks here and buy from them.

The stuff you guys are turning out is excellent and nothing even close is in the stores!!!!!!!!!!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Nightprowler....

This is one hobby that'll keep you off the streets at night...lol.

As Fatman has alluded to, the color aspect of these plastics is an outstanding feature. While factory colors are basically ok and are what they are because they've proven themselves in the ranks of the angler, colors you can develope have that special meaning and they too will prove themselves. Don't be afraid to manipulate colors or to piggyback colors that seem to clash....you'll be thinking and seeing in very human terms and what the fish like is seen in a way that we cannot. I've seen and created some butt-ugly stuff over the years that turned out to be a reall killer on fish.

Hobbies can be expensive. Look at radio controlled airplanes. They can cost over a thousand bucks, take up to a year to build and can crash in a blink. No insurance on these guys, but you can always do something with the plastic you might mess up.

First off be careful and don't take chances. If something sounds "iffy", likely it is. Go slow and don't be afraid to create.

shipahoy41 is offline Crappie.com Legend - 2022 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Herb,

You have gotten great advice. Be safe and be careful. Burns hurt!
    Aquatic Species Removal Engineer.
    May God be with you. Keep CALM and STAY ANCHORED with your faith.

Post Thanks / Like

Remember your Personal protection requirements. As in any "work activity" there are safety rules and equipment. As Old Ship says - 350 Degree plastic will burn you. Two good places to start would be to review the forums at Caney Creek Molds and Bear's Baits. It is a really enjoyable hobby.
    I had tied jigs for 40 years; so as a change of pace started Injecting baits about 18 months ago. I find injecting baits a lot of fun. Playing with bait colors is particularly enjoyable.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for all the great advice.
    What are a couple decent mold's you would suggest? I want a mold that I will still be using, years down the road.
    Thanks again for the help.
    NightProwler

shipahoy41 is offline Crappie.com Legend - 2022 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Nightprowler View Post
    Thanks for all the great advice.
    What are a couple decent mold's you would suggest? I want a mold that I will still be using, years down the road.
    Thanks again for the help.
    NightProwler
    Herb,

Big fish eat smaller fish or grubs. I started off with a grub immitator like a beetle spin and then gotta two inch grub with minnow tail mold. Those two have caught me all the Crappie I care to clean. If I cut off the minnow tail I have a stinger style bait. I use two contrasting colors and load them up with scent.
    Aquatic Species Removal Engineer.
    May God be with you. Keep CALM and STAY ANCHORED with your faith.

snake River is offline Crappie.com 2010 Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Nightprowler View Post
    New hobbies always start out with a ton of questions. So this time I thought I would do some homework before jumping in over my head to decide.
    1. What are some of the different method used to get 2 colored baits? (head/tail, top/bottom, side/side)
    2. Are there different molds or injectors for this?
    3. When re-melting store bought plastic worms, what is the consistency I'm looking for? I heated a small amount in Pyrex, but it seems to cool very fast,
    almost before reaching the spout. Maybe I need something smaller.....any advice?

Seeing all your Ultra-Cool baits make it harder to resist the temptation.

Thanks for any advice
    NightProwler
    there are many different ways on making two color baits the first one I usually pull the body off and leave the tail in the mold with them all back together and shoot the body the second way is you can use a syringe and shoot a cavity little bit on the belly and then go ahead and shoot the body the third way is I use the backside of the mold up against the cavities and shoot half turn it back around and shoot the other half then you will have 2 different color I do not recommend rebuilding plastics from the store first thing they are made from different companies and they are using different plastics so they may be a hard plastic soft plastic and super soft plastic so you really have a mass the only one side or e-mail are my own plastics that I know what it is I hope this will help you a little bit if you need any help night prowler send me a PM.I forgot to mention a fourth way that is using a dual injector for two colors.

www.bobsjigs.com