Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: crappie nooby please help !

Post Thanks / Like

Default crappie nooby please help !

Hey guys and gals, Im pretty new to crappie fishing and im kinda learning as i go on. My question was; what is the proper way to rig up a bobber minnow rig ? Ive been doing my hook then about 14 inches up my bobber, and then a split shot right in the middle. I notice that the minnow will swim to the top of the water and just kinda dance around. I fig im doing it wrong so can i get any help ? haha thanks !

Post Thanks / Like

Put some small split shot about 1" from the hook - only a couple of small ones. Then a med. sized one about 7" higher up.

Post Thanks / Like

I like to only use one split shot generally around 2 to 3 inches from the hook if your split shot is middle way up the minnow can freely swim to the top wrapping around your float and causing lots of problems. I think 2 to 3 inches from the hook is good because it keeps the minnow from tangling the line to bad. Hope this helps!

Post Thanks / Like

Are you using a fixed bobber and only setting the depth at one foot? Your question sounds like that and I want to make sure you're getting the right answers. Sorry if I misunderstood.

Helicopter Pilot
    Vietnam 67/68
    Proud Member of the Southeast Asian War Games Team

Post Thanks / Like

yes its a fixed bobber and its at 1 foot. Im not too sure on how deep i should be putting the minnow compared to how deep the water is. and thanks for all the other answers !

Post Thanks / Like

i don,t think the is a wright or wrong way. but i would move my s. shot down some

Post Thanks / Like

I would suggest you go to a slip bobber so you can adjust your depth as needed. Plus the bobber slides down to your weight and minnow and is a lot easier to cast than when you have a foot or two of line hanging off your rod tip each cast.
    SeaRay
    Mark 1:17 ...I will make you fishers of men

Post Thanks / Like

Use your fixed bobber the way you are. Up here in the Northeast we fish our ice jigs in the spring under our bobber, or some jig that has some weight to hold your minner at depth.

Post Thanks / Like

different rigs for different waters. if its clear youll need to be more stealthy. light hooks line & wieghts. if its muddy you can just use a plain jighead.

all around rig is: slip bobber 4-6#line #2 aberdeen hook and enough shot to hold minnow down.

depth depends on everything! lol weather, water clearity, current, wind, water and air temps, B.P. .................... use the finder to tell you that story. look for bait and fish at certain depths. search and read about fish locations at different times as much as you can. take that info and test it on your waters,remembering the different variables.

dont get stuck sitting on nothing either. you have to search in order to find fish. then you have to be able to leave fish in order to find bigger fish. i ussually search with a 2" twister on a 1/1th6 or 1/8th plain jig head. stopping when i find the fish/size im after. one tree top mite have 10"ers, another mite hold mostly 13s an up! you would be missing out if you were satisfied with catching a load of runts.

good luck in your search brian

Post Thanks / Like

Hey Brian, on the home page is an article called Crappie Fishing 101 It's really good, it will help all of us.

Proud Member Of Team Geezer
    Member: Michigan Chapter of Team Overalls

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast