Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Color C-Lector

Post Thanks / Like

Default Color C-Lector

I found an old lure selecter (I think) the other day. Its called the Color C-Lector and is supposed to tell you what lure will work best for the water conditions you have. You drop this sensor thing into the water then hold the toggle switch to "on" and the needle points to what you need. LOL I cant seem to find any literature about this on the net so im not sure exactly how to read it. If anyone has seen or knows where i could find a manual for this it would be greatly appreciated. I will try to get a pic of it up tomorrow.

Post Thanks / Like

I found the full page ad in Crappie magazine for the device you bought and figured out how the thing worked just by looking at the ad. From the ad: "Fish rely on color to signal the arrival of food in their environment, to seek a mate, for self defense or to find shelter."

All colors have their own specific frequency.

http://www.wildlife.utah.gov/project...sible_fish.pdf
    The above link is a pdf file that explains how light is used by the crappie and other game fish to survive.

It is written in the Crappie Magazine ad to "VISIT US ONLINE AT "WWW.ISPIKEIT.COM" TO SEE OUR COMPLETE LINE OF PRODUCTS FOR THE AMATEUR AND PROFESSIONAL ANGLER ALIKE

Spike-It Outdoors
    PO box 147
    Brooklet, GA 30415

I stay with the bright green and yellow jigs with a Berkley crappie nibble and have excellent results in the Ross Barnett Reservoir in Mississippi.

Yikes! I went to the website and this thing costs $99.

There is a "Contact Us" link at their site. Maybe you can click it and send them an email requesting an owner's manual.
    Last edited by Bowcatz; 05-09-2006 at 08:04 PM.
    With Christ, all things are possible.

Post Thanks / Like

its kinda like that with the colors but its a round model....kinda looks like a big ole Tachometer LOL

Post Thanks / Like

I've got the one you're talking about ed420. Don't really use it much.
    But it is interesting to find out what colors the fish supposedly see better at certain depths and water clarity. Funny thing, many of those colors I wouldn't carry with me if you gave them to me.
    I have my favorites and a few others to experiment with now and then.

CrappiePappy is offline Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Exclamation Here ya go ed420 ...

Quote Originally Posted by ed420
    its kinda like that with the colors but its a round model....kinda looks like a big ole Tachometer LOL
    http://mem.tcon.net/users/5010/5491/color-c-lector.htm

Bought one of these when they first came out (70's ??) .... used it sparingly. Then, when the "Combo-C-lector" came out, I bought one of those (it has temp and pH meter added). Sold the Color-C-lector for around $15 ... probably 1/4-1/3 of what I paid for it ... LOL!! Haven't really used the "combo" unit enough to justify the $$ spent on it. Can't really say that using it "helped" .... but, can't really say that "not using it", hurt :rolleyes: (I mean, how would you know ?? :D )

The "concept" is sound ..... I just don't know if it's really "necessary" to have such a device. I've caught Crappie on some of the prettiest, and some of the ugliest looking (colors/color combos) baits imaginable .... and my partners have caught them, using totally different colors (out of the same spot). Only rarely have I run into a situation where one particular color scheme produces, while others are ignored. That's when I start experimenting with different colors/retrieve speeds/techniques .... and if those still continue to fail me, I "get like" the person doing the catching !!
    My only "fault" with these devices .... is that, though they may show you what color is most visible at a given depth & water clarity -- they still don't tell you what depth the fish are holding at :p And, once I know that little piece of info ...... I've got a couple of tackle boxes full of "colors" to feed'em, and let them decide what they want ....... luck2ya .... cp

Post Thanks / Like

The PH and temp combo is suppose to tell you what depth the fish are holding or what depth their comfort zone is. You drop the meter down until you notice a 2 degree change and that is suppose to be the thermocline. You check the colors around that depth and that is suppose to be the color that the fish can or most likey see at that time. I have used it for years and still trust it. You have to calibrate it each year thought before using it. (ph-temp).
    It is like anything you use, if you have confidence in it, It will work for you. If you don't have confidence, than you won't use it, or trust it very long, and it just become another gaget of your useless equipment.
    DO-GOODER EXTRADINAR :p

cooljack35 Guest

do you know where i can get a manual for this item mine is a older round one thanks

CrappiePappy is offline Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Question CoolJ .......

Quote Originally Posted by cooljack35
    do you know where i can get a manual for this item mine is a older round one thanks
    Does your unit only tell you "color" selections ? If so, it's a Color-C-lector. The "Combo" unit has pH and Temp selections.

Which one do you have ... and what questions do you have about it ??

...... cp

Post Thanks / Like

Here is an ebay link with one of the originals (sounds like what you may have) and they kinda explain how to use it. Thing is you gonna have to use a sonar to find the depth the fish are holding at in order for it to do you any good.

http://cgi.ebay.com/THE-ORIGINAL-COL...QQcmdZViewItem
    You can't fish with a hung line!

Post Thanks / Like

Default dag nabbit

Quote Originally Posted by jlaughlin72
    Here is an ebay link with one of the originals (sounds like what you may have) and they kinda explain how to use it. Thing is you gonna have to use a sonar to find the depth the fish are holding at in order for it to do you any good.

http://cgi.ebay.com/THE-ORIGINAL-COL...QQcmdZViewItem
    Look like the one I threw in the trash, oh silly me.
    Reaper, Where Fish come to Fry