Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Kayaking Lake Wheeler

Post Thanks / Like

Default Kayaking Lake Wheeler

I fished Lake Wheeler in the area of Ditto Landing this morning from my kayak. I won’t be more specific on the area, but I found a small back water area off the Tennessee River that was full of Crappie. Tossed back over 200, kept a limit of fish 12 inches or larger. Not bad for four hours.

Male Crappie were on beds in about 2 to 4 feet of water. I found the females close by and a little deeper staged to move up. Crappie were caught on White Marabou jigs again. I also caught several on a small spinner with a white mister twister tail. The time to go is now. The Crappie will be starting to spawn this week in some areas with the stable weather. The females all had eggs that were bloody and grainy, a good sign that their ready to drop.

Name:  Picture1.jpg
Views: 816
Size:  59.6 KB

The second photo has a tape measure on one of the smaller fish from the top row.

Name:  Picture2.jpg
Views: 1134
Size:  60.5 KB

Post Thanks / Like

Come on, I know there were hundreds of anglers chasing the Crappie on Lake Wheeler today. Where's the post?

Post Thanks / Like

Hey Ditch Basser if you ever bring the kayak to lake Guntersville and want a fishing partner let me know. Been looking for someone to kayak fish with. Great catch by the way.

Post Thanks / Like

I may try Guntersville this summer. I hate to leave Wheeler and drive an hour when I always seem to find quility fish here.

Post Thanks / Like

Very true. Its starting to pick up here. Biggest so far was a 16.5 in fish. They seem to still be a little ways off from spawning here.

Post Thanks / Like

brought home 46 on wheeler today. had a 15 several 14"s caught probably 150. best day in a while. hard to leave, they were still biting as we were rolling the lines up.

Post Thanks / Like

Man you are on those fish!! Congrats on another great day on the water and fishing from that kayak! I have got to get my canoe in there.

Post Thanks / Like

I think I need a kayak

Post Thanks / Like

I kayak really comes into its own when the fish are shallow. Unlike a large boat you don't spook the fish and it's easy to move around with a paddle. I love sitting next to a bush in 2 feet of water and pulling one crappie after another off that one little piece of cover!

Post Thanks / Like

Great post. I'm new to kayak fishing and to this area so it's nice to know there is great fishing just a few miles away! I plan to go Sunday morning.