Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: can't find them when i sink them

dodgefsu Guest

Default can't find them when i sink them

I made 3 attractors 2 out of pvc and 1 wood... i got the gps coordinates, but i cannot see them on my fish finder. the pvc ones are 1 1/2pipe x 5-6 foot tall and 5-6 feet wide, one is in 20 foot water the other is 30 foot water and they weigh more than 80 pounds each,the wood one is in 25 feet of water, and same weight...... can you see pvc on a fish finder i have lowrance x37tx

Barnacle Bill is offline Super Mod and 2014 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Try turning up your sensitivity on your fish finder. I usually turn mine up until it starts to get cluttered then back it off just a little. It makes a big difference.
    Fair Winds and Following Seas

Bill H. PTC USN Ret
    Chesapeake, Va

legman10 Guest

When water fill the pvc pipes they become invisiable.

Post Thanks / Like

next time you drop some, place out a marker, come back over them with the fish finder on and you should be able to see them. at 25 feet deep I think you might be seeing 5 feet of the bottom?

Post Thanks / Like

Sac is right. You only cover 5 to 6 feet width of the bottom in 25 foot water depth. I believe you would be able to see them if you increased your sensitivity a little and zoom in on the bottom 10 feet or so.

I've had the same problem, especially with PVC, so now I try to drop them along a creek or river channel edge. This way I just follow this edge with my depthfinder until I either see them or my GPS says that I'm on them.
    CATCH A BIG-UN

Post Thanks / Like

It is hard to see the pvc, so don't kick yourself. You should be able to see the wood without any problem. I suggest trollling around the gps location and see if you don't spot it. With the pvc, I put out a marker and drop several around the marker so that when I go back to the location to fish, I don't have to try to locate just one attractor.
    LET IT RIP!

Post Thanks / Like

I've had that problem, too. The last one we dropped, my gps was saying "accurate within 14 feet." Well, that's not exactly a small area. So we had to look for a physical marker (a laydown) on the shore to help us remember where we put it.
    I think I got one...

Post Thanks / Like

I use PVC only and they BLOW up my screen when I go over them. To see what they look like, view the Great Wall of Crappie post by me.

Post Thanks / Like

fill the ends of your pipe with silicone caulking...it creates an air space that the transducer cant see through...i slide a peice of cane in some of them to straightin them out(i use rolled conduit)...it makes them eaiser to see..i have an X 125 on the front and can see them at 70% sensitivity...
    Chuck Cissell
    Parker Marine
    Paris,tennessee

Post Thanks / Like

I stick used aluminum foil in the tops my CPVC pipes. All you see is a bunch of clutter suspended in the middle of the water column.
    Last edited by Opie1; 05-16-2006 at 08:05 AM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast