Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: 2 more fishermen missing below KY Dam

M R Dux is offline Crappie.com Legend , 2018 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

Default 2 more fishermen missing below KY Dam

Seems the tailwaters below KY Dam are to be avoided at all costs. 2 brothers missing from a capsized pontoon boat this morning. They kept talking about the boat getting too close to the spillway. Were there gates open today or just some talking head not knowing what they were talking about? That makes at least 4 drownings below KY in the last 2 years. I've striper fished there a bunch but never considered going into the tailwaters when there were gates open.
    www.crappie-gills-n-more.com
    Podunk Ideas Pro Staff /test platform
    PICO Lures Field Rep
    Excel Boats Pro Staff

Post Thanks / Like

I bet they had at least a few gates open Mr.dux. I saw where they were throwing 65,000 cfs at times today. I also heard that the pontoon had motor trouble and they drifted into the dam. They also said that a smaller boat tried to help them but was unsuccessful. Really sad. I hope we don't have another year like a few years ago. I pray for the familes.
    Old Guide
    Matthew 6:34
    Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.

Post Thanks / Like

That is too bad. TVA shows they are spilling tonight. My Dad drowned below Barkley Dam and every time I here another one drowns it gives be the willies! I feel for there family and my prayers go out to them.

I pray that I may live to fish.......
    Until my dying day.
    And when it comes to my last cast,
    I then most humbly pray:
    When in the Lord's great landing net
    And peacefully asleep
    That in His mercy I be judged
    Big enough to keep.
    Life is Good !
    2018 Kentucky & Tennessee Crappie Masters State Champs!

Post Thanks / Like

Sad indeed. Everyone be safe this year.
    Wichita

Post Thanks / Like

I had a buddy down there when it happened. Shook him up pretty bad to see it.

He said that the guys were yell'n for help before they got into the spillway. He also help pick up debris. Said he picked up the gas can & it was empty. Also picked up several unused life jackets. Bad place to run outta gas & not have a life jacket on!

I think you'll probably see a new rule that doesn't allow any boats above the new bridge when Ky is spilling.

God be with the families.
    Crappie Stomper Guide Service
    Crappie Fish'n With Attitude!!!
    https://www.facebook.com/crappiestomper
    ACC Crappie Stix Pro Staff
    Corn Field Crappie Gear Pro Staff

Post Thanks / Like

Life jacket don't mean nothing down below them dams. You get caught in a boil down there you will just churn till it pops you out.

There were some guys down there a few years ago that were out in the water, no life jackets, cutting lead adn hooks off the old metal stobs down where the snaggers set up near the powerhouse wall. Those guys had a pure death wish like I had never seen.

Post Thanks / Like

My father drowned below Barkley Dam because he was not wearing his life jacket. Two others that were in the boat wearing there life jackets survived. I think you have a lot better chance with a life jacket on than not. A lot of lakes and dam areas are now requiring everyone to wear a life jacket at all times because they work.I wear mine below the dams no matter what!
    Life is Good !
    2018 Kentucky & Tennessee Crappie Masters State Champs!