Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Back to Tull's Creek

Barnacle Bill is offline Super Mod and 2014 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Back to Tull's Creek

We caught about 50 and brought home 24 between 10-13 inches. Nice plump fish. Started off spider rigged as usual and just bumped the trolling motor along. When they stopped biting, I speeded up to 1-1.5mph. They were scattered in 6-10 ft of water a bit on mixed color jigs with shiners. Water temp was in low 50's.
    Fair Winds and Following Seas

Bill H. PTC USN Ret
    Chesapeake, Va

Post Thanks / Like

Default what part

What is Tull Creek close to - I ma on the Va border aorund Martinsville
    crap king
    with my mind on crappie and crappie on my mind -
    and if ya'll see Goober later tellem I said duh huh - he'll know what ya mean!!!!!!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Default what part

What is Tull Creek close to - I am on the Va border aorund Martinsville
    crap king
    with my mind on crappie and crappie on my mind -
    and if ya'll see Goober later tellem I said duh huh - he'll know what ya mean!!!!!!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Default Spider Rigging.....

Quote Originally Posted by IBNFSHN
    We caught about 50 and brought home 24 between 10-13 inches. Nice plump fish. Started off spider rigged as usual and just bumped the trolling motor along. When they stopped biting, I speeded up to 1-1.5mph. They were scattered in 6-10 ft of water a bit on mixed color jigs with shiners. Water temp was in low 50's.

I've never spider rigged before, the closest I've gotten to it is drift fishing. Maybe you could give me a few details? How many poles do you use and what length are they? Do you rig double baits with minnows and jigs? I got a bit spoiled fishing the Arkansas lakes for 14 years, especially Blue Mountain and Nimrod lakes. I only drifted when I couldn't score vertical jigging, which was rare. It's been slow here in LA, Tommy does better here than anyone else I know. I think he's got the mojo on our crappie and he scores big, I'm sure you have seen his pics. We're trying to get together on a trip if we can ever get loose at the same time. I'd like to try your method, just to see if it will work for me. Your 50 crappie makes for a good day, and I need to learn all the tricks available to add to my little box of tricks. Thanks in advance for your advice, and let me know if I can add anything to your own arsenal.

Post Thanks / Like

Way to go Bill H.! Were you fishing that deep or was that your water depth? thanks. CF
    The Original Woodsgoat Hater
    2011 NWR Bash Yellow Perch Champion

Barnacle Bill is offline Super Mod and 2014 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by crappiefarmer
    Way to go Bill H.! Were you fishing that deep or was that your water depth? thanks. CF
    CF, As fast as I was going, I'm sure the baits were only 2-3 ft down. We were afraid that Isabel had ruined the creek as there was a major fish kill there from the hurricane. But surprisingly, it seems better. At least for the size of the fish. We used to pick up a few raccoon perch there this time of the year, but none so far.
    BTW, have you decided when you are going to Kerr? We are setting up our annual trip for the last full week in March. I'd give anything to live closer to that lake. I love it!!

Bill H. PTC USN Ret
    Chesapeake, Va

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by crap-king
    What is Tull Creek close to - I am on the Va border aorund Martinsville
    crap king
    It is on the east coast of NC, just south of Moyock.

Bill H. PTC USN Ret
    Chesapeake, Va

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by labill
    I've never spider rigged before, the closest I've gotten to it is drift fishing. Maybe you could give me a few details? How many poles do you use and what length are they? Do you rig double baits with minnows and jigs? I got a bit spoiled fishing the Arkansas lakes for 14 years, especially Blue Mountain and Nimrod lakes. I only drifted when I couldn't score vertical jigging, which was rare. It's been slow here in LA, Tommy does better here than anyone else I know. I think he's got the mojo on our crappie and he scores big, I'm sure you have seen his pics. We're trying to get together on a trip if we can ever get loose at the same time. I'd like to try your method, just to see if it will work for me. Your 50 crappie makes for a good day, and I need to learn all the tricks available to add to my little box of tricks. Thanks in advance for your advice, and let me know if I can add anything to your own arsenal.
    Bill, if you have been drift fishing, I suspect you may have been spider rigged. (3 or more poles out) We use 10 and 12 ft poles so they can be staggered and not tangle up as much. Usually, 1 pole with 1 jig and minnow. We can have as many as 16 poles out at one time, 8 in the front and 8 in the back. I used to use the telescoping "cane" poles but have recently went to poles with reels on them. At least now I can play a really big one and have a better chance of landing it.

Bill H. PTC USN Ret
    Chesapeake, Va

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by IBNFSHN
    CF, As fast as I was going, I'm sure the baits were only 2-3 ft down. We were afraid that Isabel had ruined the creek as there was a major fish kill there from the hurricane. But surprisingly, it seems better. At least for the size of the fish. We used to pick up a few raccoon perch there this time of the year, but none so far.
    BTW, have you decided when you are going to Kerr? We are setting up our annual trip for the last full week in March. I'd give anything to live closer to that lake. I love it!!
    You notice I didn't mention the 3 black fish? Boy did they make a mess of things. LOL

Bill H. PTC USN Ret
    Chesapeake, Va

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the info, IBN.....if you think of anything else, drop me a post. I'll be checking on your board, too......Good fishing!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast