Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Needing some advice?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Needing some advice?

I am young to the crappie fishing and really have been enjoying it for a few years now. I wanted to know what you are looking for early this time of year? What kind of water are you looking for? Are you looking shallow, deep? I have been shooting docks with a little luck. But I feel like I am missing a piece of the puzzle.

Post Thanks / Like

To start with you should read the articles on the home page of Crappie.com by Special K, Crappie Fishing 101, I have found them to be very good. They explained the migration very well I thought.
    On Truman the fish we have been targeting are moving into the shallows of 12 to 4' FOW right now starting to stage for the spawn. They are very scatted right now, hence the riggin has been good as you can target a lot of water. I was told once that the crappie this time of year want warm water, where is the warmest? Shallow water is the warmest, so I always check some shallow water just to see if they are there. Many times if the Sun is shinning you will find them 4' down to keep the sun from their eyes, on cloudy days it is common for us to catch them 2' down. You tell some people you caught limits of dandy dish 2 to 4' deep in February they will say no way! However on Truman as it has been said a hundred times if you have to pick a depth, 10' will be it, works year round.

Post Thanks / Like

Try to find points with the wind blowing into them, then shoot the docks nearest those points. On LOZ I would be looking for 10-20 FOW.

You need either wind or clouds or both in my opinion. Calm clear days can be tough when the water is clear. Find the darkest holes to shoot on the docks as well.

Post Thanks / Like

Lots of good Loz fisherman on the site! But I'm not one of them lol hope the guys can help ya out! Good luck!

Post Thanks / Like

We have been picking up fish right on the banks along a stick or log on Pomme de Terre lake but on Truman still catching them 6 to 15 ft deep,close to a ledge,sometimes on the high side and sometimes on the bottom.

Post Thanks / Like

Right now I would start shallow and work my way out to 10-12 fow.Any little cuts or coves off the main channel that the sun is warming up during the day.A lot of times they won't move in there until late afternoon when the sun has be on it all day.If you find shad in the shallows the crappie will be close.Hope this helps ya a little.Good fish'n too ya.
    Life is good today.