Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Anchor weight

Post Thanks / Like

Default Anchor weight

I'm going to make my own anchor system and was wondering what poundage would be minimal for a 10' kayak. What are some of your satisfactory weights you use.

Post Thanks / Like

I don't have a yak but I use an 8 pound mushroom anchor on my 15' canoe and it holds well by itself. I also have a second anchor, I have one at each end, so I can remain steady no matter which way the wind blows. It's about 10 pounds made from a bleach jug filled with concrete.

I've seen people talking about using a piece of PVC pipe, capped on both ends, with re-bar at right angles through it. They travel with it empty and fill it with sand or rocks at their fishing hole. I plan on trying a version of this without the re-bar for my float tube this year.

Post Thanks / Like

3 to 5 lb dumb bell works well. I like the coated ones (for women), as the coating makes them less noisy when banged against the kayak. Also an old window sash weight works too. If using an anchor in a river, be sure to anchor in an area with very little to no current.

Post Thanks / Like

I use a 5 pound dumbbell on my 10 footer. Ive had it in high winds and its held it just fine. Make sure you are using a trolley system cause you don't want to anchor from the side