Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Guntersville Report & Pic

Post Thanks / Like

Default Guntersville Report & Pic

Fished from sunrise to sunset yesterday (2/27) to give my new trolling motor battery a workout. Stoked about how long it lasts on that first charge. Ran it down the best I could. Caught a limit of crappie in all sorts of casting ways, tossing 1/16 jigs on ultralight with 4 lb Fireline. Best action was just off the cove creek channels sitting in deep and tossing to shallow. Afternoon was definitely the best as the water warmed from 53 to 61. About an hour before dark, it’s every cast. The crappie are on the move to spawning grounds, stopping and feeding along the way. The water was pretty clear, but that’s about to change. I covered a lot of water and I was about the only one fishing for crappie, everyone else was going for bass and didn’t seem to care. I did hook something that I fought for about 15 minutes and it had about another 5 of fight left in her, but she snapped one of my ultralight tackle rods and then hunkered down in a hole and wouldn’t come out. I tried the twang on the line, ect., but eventually the hook came out of its mouth. I’m thinking big cat, or maybe a drum, but it fought like a cat and I’ve caught a huge one in that spot before. Most of my crappie were about 10-12 inches, but I had a few monsters. I put them all back, I still have plenty in the freezer. Caught several giant bull brim, too, and several largemouth bass. Only about 5 stripe. Lots of boats out for a Monday, gas prices not hitting folks yet, but you know last time, there were still a lot of boats out there anyway.
    Name:  bigcrappie.jpg
Views: 763
Size:  53.6 KB
    James 1:5

Post Thanks / Like

Great job Larry gongrats on your catch and thanks for the report.How shallow were they?what color was the best?

Post Thanks / Like

Congrats Larry, thanks for a great report as always and way to stay on them fish!

Post Thanks / Like

what color jig if you dont mind telling

Post Thanks / Like

I caught the first fish in about 10 foot, but the rest of the day they were 5 foot or less, mainly about 3-4 foot with deeper water close by, but not extremely deep, sometimes just 10 foot or less on the creek channels I was working up and down. I caught quite a few on a chartreuse and green body, but the majority on a clear body with a blue speckled back. Hand poured jigs. I bet today was awesome and it will be great until the heavy rains slows them down a little. The last time it was dingy after it rained, though, I actually did real well throwing small crankbaits. I think they pick up the vibration better when the water is real dirty.
    James 1:5

Post Thanks / Like

Congrats! Sounds like a great day!