Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Income tax question

Post Thanks / Like

Default Income tax question

I'm retired and preparing my income tax form for this past year. One thing I've started doing is keeping all receipts showing sales tax. I started adding it up last night and ended up being able to deduct about 3 times the amount of money instead of taking the "standard" deduction for sales tax.

One thing that hit me was that I had a bunch of gas receipts. However they don't show state and local taxes on them.

I got to thinking that if there was some way to determine the state and local taxes on my gas receipts I would be able to claim even more.

I live in Florida and was wondering if we got any tax preparer/accountant types here who can point me in the direction I need to go to determine how much of deduction I can take on gasoline purchases both in the state of Florida and Georgia.

Thanks.

Barnacle Bill is offline Super Mod and 2014 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Fair Winds and Following Seas

Bill H. PTC USN Ret
    Chesapeake, Va

Post Thanks / Like

Well, I found out that gas taxes are considered "excise" taxes and as such cannot be taken as a deduction.

Next question:
    Are the state and local taxes on my cell phone bill deductable?

Thanks.

Post Thanks / Like

State and local taxes Yes. E911, USF and any other fees or contributions are not deductible.
    Don't forget the taxes on gas, electric or land line phones also. Sales tax on vehicle or boat purchases also.

Post Thanks / Like

Watch out on fishing tackle or boats also. As its Excise tax also.