Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Kayaking in Limestone Bay (Part 2)

Post Thanks / Like

Default Kayaking in Limestone Bay (Part 2)

Took my kayak to Limestone Bay again today, Crappie were everywhere. I throw back over a 100, kept a limit and left them biting. I caught Crappie in 12 inches of water and in 10 foot of water and everywhere in-between. I found fish in both open water as well as tight to brush. Great day except for the wind! My arms and shoulders are sore from paddling with one hand and jigging with the other!

Name:  Picture1.jpg
Views: 766
Size:  57.4 KB

Post Thanks / Like

dang son! good job! if the weather will hold out i'm gonna try to get over there tue

Post Thanks / Like

were you using jigs or minnows? Are these areas you fish accessible with a boat or are they small creeks that lead to backwater type areas where not many people venture? Do you put in at a boat ramp or drive down to an area and jsut unload your yak?

Post Thanks / Like

crappieseeker,

No secret, the Northeast end of Limestone Bay is a backwater area with shallow flats off the main current and several deep holes. The area holds Crappie year round but is inaccessible to larger boats during the drawdown. I drive down to the area and carry my kayak to the water. Main people also bank fish during the spring. I only use artificial bait. Today I targeted brush and lay downs with a 10 foot jig rod, also spider rigged with jigs on some of the flats. Today a white marabou jig 1/16 oz worked best. I’ll continue to fish this area from my kayak until the water comes up. Then the big boats pack into the area and I move on. I’ll probably go back in the morning for a few hours and grab another limit if nothing comes up. I have a green kayak carried by a tan Xterra. If you see me say “Hi”.

Good luck!

Post Thanks / Like

are you doing any casting or is it all vertical style jigging. i do not live out your way but if k had a yak i would come learn something from you

Post Thanks / Like

Nice, I was down on the lower end of the bay saturday too. I had my daughter in the canoe. We caught about 8 keepers I think and threw back a bunch of smaller ones. The fish seemed to start biting about the time she was ready to go. Once we get enough to eat, she's ready to head home. Haha.

One of the better ones of the day:

Last edited by eminart; 02-27-2012 at 09:43 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

awesome!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Post Thanks / Like

eminart, glad to see you takin the child and really love the life jacket on her

Post Thanks / Like

eminart - I think I saw you guys getting ready to put in weekend before last. I just smiled as I saw that little one with her life jacket on gettin ready to go fishing with dad
    I had my youngest with me and we were just riding and looking and skipping a few stones. I did manage a few cast from the bank and at the gravel pits.
    David McCarley

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by David Mc View Post
    eminart - I think I saw you guys getting ready to put in weekend before last. I just smiled as I saw that little one with her life jacket on gettin ready to go fishing with dad
    I had my youngest with me and we were just riding and looking and skipping a few stones. I did manage a few cast from the bank and at the gravel pits.
    That was probably us. I drive a black, crew cab F150 that would have had my homemade canoe hauler on the back. Right now she loves to go fishing/hunting/hiking/camping/hawking with me. Hope that doesn't change anytime soon.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast