Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Parasites in Crappie

Post Thanks / Like

Default Parasites in Crappie

When I clean my crappie I have noticed that about 1 out of 10 has a nematode worm in its flesh usually just adjacent to the abdominal cavity. These worms are usually red and just larger than sewing thread. You can see them as a maroon spot in the flesh before cutting them out. Anybody else been seeing this? I primarily fish Wheeler this time of year.

Post Thanks / Like

I was told once that anything caught below Red stone arsenal should be thrown back.

Post Thanks / Like

I see them a lot in crappie I catch in Flint Creek and sometimes on Wheeler. Not so much on Guntersville. I usually just cut that part of the meat off and keep the rest. Been doing it for years and never had a problum, probelm, proedle, proaoe;l, Uh, what was I saying?

Post Thanks / Like

This is a pretty common thread on this forumn. They will not harm you, but like you, I cut them out. I have been told that if you leave the fish on ice overnight before you clean them, the workms will come out by themselves. I have not tried it yeat, but I don't much care for the sight of them eitgher. I find a lot of farm pond fish have these worms too, all species, bass, bream, and crappie.

Post Thanks / Like

I have heard they were caused by farm run off and also caused from bird droppings. I have heard several things. I have seen them for many years and I just cut them out before I give the crappie to my friends if I clean them, they cut them out too. They have eaten them like that forever with no problems

Post Thanks / Like

The parasite is normal, usually only fish in shallow water are susceptible. I have found them in oxbow crappie from Georgia to Missouri. That includes some of the most pristine trout streams in the lower 48. Fish are more likely to pick up the parasite when stressed . This can be caused by poor water quality, but is more likely the result of warm water and low oxygen in the summer months when in the backwater areas of Wheeler and farm ponds. Cut them out, add cornmeal and fry!