Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Need some advice on Barkley Lake

Post Thanks / Like

Default Need some advice on Barkley Lake

We're trying to plan a three night trip down to Barkley the first week of May for bluegill/shellcracker fishing and I'm looking for a decent place to stay, preferably on the Northern end somewhere. Would Grand Rivers area be a good spot? I've only got a 14foot jon boat and 15horsepower motor, so I'm obviously not going to be able to travel great distances.

I've been trying to get down there for the past three years, this is the year for us. Any tips, help, or information for a first timer would be appreciated. Also do's and don'ts are appreciated too.

Post Thanks / Like

I do not know about the north end, but the state Lodge on Barkley is a nice place to stay. You can fish Little River in a jon boat with no trouble if the winds not real bad. State boat ramp about a mile from lodge. If the winds blowing you can fish off the sidewalk from the lodge and catch plenty of nice gills. Also great place to eat in the lodge.
    Set da hook

Post Thanks / Like

What are you looking for, cabin, motel, camping--on the water?

With a smaller boat, you really want to be on a bay, although staying on the water won't be as important, since you'll want to trailer anyplace you go to avoid running on the main lake. Grand Rivers really doesn't have much in the way of fisherman accomodations though. explorekentuckylake.com has a section for accomodations that may be helpful.

BIGBADDAD is offline Crappie.com 1K Star General * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

Try somewhere in Eddy creek. Lots of water and its easy to get out o the wind.
    http://i897.photobucket.com/albums/ac178/BIGBADDAD/birdpooavatar.gif

www.kicknbass.net

Arkie Jigs Prostaff
    Todd Huckabee Rods Prostaff
    HiTec Outdoors Prostaff
    ESB Prostaff
    SteelShad Prostaff
    Jenko Fishing Prostaff

Post Thanks / Like

You might try Eddy Creek Marina. Eddy Creek Marina Resort I have had people stay there while fishing the Eddy Creek area and were happy with it. Nice marina and decent cabins and motel.
    Old Guide
    Matthew 6:34
    Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.

Post Thanks / Like

Then I'll scratch Grand Rivers because I definitely need to get out of the wind and really don't want to be running out on the main body of water. I'd prefer a nice, big bay that offers good shellcracker fishing, that's what I'm going to be targeting. We'll probably be forced to stay in a motel or on a campground because the cabins seem a little pricey for my pocketbook.

Post Thanks / Like

After looking at various guide's websites and their pictures from the two lakes, it's clear I've got to get down there. Believe it or not, I saw a TON of 1.8lb redear and up...probably saw close to a dozen redear that were 2lbs or better in these pictures. Hipsher's guide service has hundreds of pictures of recent fishing trips and there's some two pound class redear in his portfolio.