PDA

View Full Version : Rod Socks

Don G
02-02-2012, 08:37 AM
Where is the best place to buy them? Which make do you prefer?

bdorman
02-02-2012, 10:25 AM
I've been looking around for them too. I noticed that BPS just started carrying them and has the cheapest price I've seen although the length and color selection appear pretty limited.

Oops, I went to BPS's website to get the link...but it says "that product does not exist or is no longer in stock"

Oh well. Nevermind.

Billbob
02-02-2012, 11:02 AM
whats next shoes????????

1Caprandy
02-02-2012, 12:43 PM
make them out of flannel and sewing machine even you old lake turtles can do that,tie the end with a shoe string or some tomatoe string

DENNIS WILLIS
02-02-2012, 01:06 PM
I got mine at Bass Pro and they were not to high, and they work great

ragdaddy
02-02-2012, 01:19 PM
I got mine at cabelas they were on sell at the time and a very good price. It was so long ago "which for an old fart like me could mean yesterday" that I can't tell you how much they were. I love em the reel end has a nice plastic cuff and an elastic drawstring to wrap around your reel. The cuff will let you keep a bait or hook tied on without snagging the sleeve. The tip has 4 feet of velcro to accomidate most any length of rod total length 6.5 feet.

"G"
02-02-2012, 01:54 PM
I use the Bass Pro ones.....really like them

Blue Water LED
02-02-2012, 02:23 PM
I hope it's ok to post here, We carry them here at Blue Water, casting or spinning, and blue or black. Discount code 'crappie' for 10% off.

Thanks,
Blue

EnonEye
02-02-2012, 02:33 PM
Sorry but I don't get it??? What's a sock going to do for you? Guess it'll keep the dust off and maybe a few scratches but if you're trying to prevent a busted expensive grapite rod you need a rod case to protect it. Even small micro cracks in a graphite rod will result in a busted rod down the road. Just speaking from experience. I made my own rod cases from PVC and have had no further issues with broken rods since storing in the cases. Just don't get the rod socks. Reel socks OK but rod socks?

TexExp
02-02-2012, 02:59 PM
Sorry but I don't get it??? What's a sock going to do for you? Guess it'll keep the dust off and maybe a few scratches but if you're trying to prevent a busted expensive grapite rod you need a rod case to protect it. Even small micro cracks in a graphite rod will result in a busted rod down the road. Just speaking from experience. I made my own rod cases from PVC and have had no further issues with broken rods since storing in the cases. Just don't get the rod socks. Reel socks OK but rod socks?

They are not made for Plane travel or rod protection. When you shove 5 or ten rods in a rod box, it keeps everything (lines hooks etc.) from getting tangled.
Especially for bass fisherman using treble hooks on crank baits, you can leave any lure/jig tied to your rod, put a sleeve on and just throw it in the rod box without hooking everything.
Very easy to transport a 'bundle' of rods from garage to truck to boat. Having a cluster of rods easy to grab the one u want.

DENNIS WILLIS
02-02-2012, 03:43 PM
They are not made for Plane travel or rod protection. When you shove 5 or ten rods in a rod box, it keeps everything (lines hooks etc.) from getting tangled.
Especially for bass fisherman using treble hooks on crank baits, you can leave any lure/jig tied to your rod, put a sleeve on and just throw it in the rod box without hooking everything.
Very easy to transport a 'bundle' of rods from garage to truck to boat. Having a cluster of rods easy to grab the one u want.TexExp, you said it right. It makes it a lots easier to put rods in box and not worrie about breaking tips off and they come out of rodbox without being in a mess.

endo2075
02-02-2012, 03:46 PM
got mine at bass pro and like them a lot. keeps my lines from being tangled and i just pull one pole out instead of all of them

Blue Water LED
02-02-2012, 06:21 PM
Main purpose of the Rod sock is to protect against the little dents and dings that cause the hairline cracks that cause trouble later, and make going in and out of rod lockers painless.

jimp
02-02-2012, 07:39 PM
saw 'em at gander mtn the other day but didn't notice the price.

ifish
02-03-2012, 02:33 AM
What I like about them is when you put a rod in the rod box the eyes aren't catching on the edges of the tubes in the locker. Also I can put 2 rods in the same hole.
Just Sayin!

bdorman
02-03-2012, 12:57 PM
I transport 5 rods to/from the lake in my hatchback (along with TM, battery, tacklebox, etc) every time I fish. Invariably, the rods get tangled on each others' lines and I have to spend time sorting them out. Also, my trolling rods stay rigged with weights about 18" in front of the jig; the result is the weight swinging around hitting the rod and other rods.

Bronson
02-03-2012, 03:03 PM
I use them an like them. Prefer the mesh ones which are a little stiffer. Nothing more aggravating than getting to the lake and spending your first 15-20 minutes untangling and retying. Also keeps rods from bumping into each other so much. Using different colors helps you identify the rod you're needing more quickly.

shelldecoy
02-03-2012, 04:02 PM
I like the pvc tubes for rod transportant. Yet to have broke a rod or tip