Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: water temp question

Post Thanks / Like

Default water temp question

it is late janurary on my lake and the water temp is already at 54 degrees. it is going to be in the mid to upper 60's and lows in the 45 to 50 degree range for the next 5 days.this should jump the water temp 57 to 59 degrees. i usually start long line trolling when the water stops dropping below 50 degrees. this is earlier in the year than normal for this water temp. my question is will this temp send the crappie moving up in the creeks and ditches starting their move tword spawning or will they wait till early march like they usually do. i think they will statrt moving because of water temp even if it is a month early. any opinions?
    Roll Tide Roll with a crappie on a pole!

Post Thanks / Like

I think the fish will move earlier to stage in the spawning areas. I would go give them a try, if nothing else to scout them out.

Post Thanks / Like

I think we will see some activity around the full moon the 7th of Feb, my water temps are 58° and there's not real bad cold snap in the long range forecast.

Helicopter Pilot
    Vietnam 67/68
    Proud Member of the Southeast Asian War Games Team

Post Thanks / Like

I meant the 17th not the 7th

Helicopter Pilot
    Vietnam 67/68
    Proud Member of the Southeast Asian War Games Team

Post Thanks / Like

The crappie on my home lake have never went to their winter hang outs. I'm afraid winters far from over.
    "I'll live and die a fisherman."Calling John the Fisherman.."

Post Thanks / Like

what a coincidence, it's late january on my lake too Sorry, couldn't help being a smart alec on that one.I'm with SirBob ya' don't know till you try. Good luck
    Quote Originally Posted by slabbysteve View Post
    it is late janurary on my lake and the water temp is already at 54 degrees. it is going to be in the mid to upper 60's and lows in the 45 to 50 degree range for the next 5 days.this should jump the water temp 57 to 59 degrees. i usually start long line trolling when the water stops dropping below 50 degrees. this is earlier in the year than normal for this water temp. my question is will this temp send the crappie moving up in the creeks and ditches starting their move tword spawning or will they wait till early march like they usually do. i think they will statrt moving because of water temp even if it is a month early. any opinions?
    The two best times to fish (when it's raining & when it aint). Proud member of team GitDaFeeshGrease