Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: olathe lake

Post Thanks / Like

Default olathe lake

Hey I was just wondering if any of you guys hit olathe lake ever. I grew up pretty close to there and used to fish it quite a bit. I did pretty dang good fishing during the spawn on the south end of the lake by the drain pipe that goes under i think Harold is the street name. It is directly across from the little island. I moved to LOZ 6 years ago and have never back since. I only fished it for crappie during spring it was before I got bit with the crappie bug and forgot about all other fish.
    will fish for food

Post Thanks / Like

I've fished it a bunch and can't catch a cold there hyperwiper fishes the quiet a bit and does very well

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by birddog one View Post
    I've fished it a bunch and can't catch a cold there hyperwiper fishes the quiet a bit and does very well
    Yeah I hear you its a weird lake some days were great and others were horrible with no
    patterns. I have seen some huge flatheads and some nice wipers come from there. I knew an old man who told us stories of catching some nice crappie the only time we ever caught em was during spawn. We never even hooked up with crappie pulling cranks in the summer. I would venture to say if someone spent some time putting in structure it would be productive.
    will fish for food

Post Thanks / Like

I caught alot of crappie 1984-88 which were all 7"-9".It is a great looking lake and know people who have caught big fish.However,no nice crappie mainly cat's,bass and even some walleye.By golly,I am going to try and fish olathe lake this year.Thanks for posting!The lake provided me alot of good memories in high school.

Post Thanks / Like

Slab, you ever catch any crappie of any size?Also,look at Cedar lake in Olathe it is ranked pretty high for crappie and bass.I caught alot of decent fish out of Cedar in the day.

Post Thanks / Like

I've fished there a couple times each year, but mostly for bass. I used to live nearby and now still not too far away in OP; good lake to get the bass boat out and running for the year before towing all the way to Truman or LOZ. It's decent for bass, I've caught a few nice ones and always manage a hand full of fish when I go. The big cove across from the dam is tough to beat and later in the year have pulled some good numbers up on the bank that parallels Harold.

Plenty of high school memories out around there, once I even got my jeep stuck in the lake bottom and was on the front of the local newspaper the next day