Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Addendum to previous thread

Post Thanks / Like

Default Addendum to previous thread

Sound off please; 10 fish bag limit or the existing 25 fish limit per person

BLSD

Post Thanks / Like

Not totally sold on the 10 fish limit. I rarely keep more than five fish anyway unless I'm stocking up for a fish fry or something, but there are folks that depend on their catch to feed the family etc. But mainly I wonder if the limit is reduced to 10 .....will that have an impact on overpopulation and overall smaller fish? I do agree on a 10" limit statewide.

Post Thanks / Like

I would just like to see a 10" minimum. I honestly believe most people do not intentionally keep more than they can eat or see get eaten. I would hate to think that someone who depends on fish for several meals a week and yet only has an opportunity to fish say once a month due to working 2 jobs and raising kids, been there done that, can no longer enjoy that source of protein. I know some say there are exceptions for self preservation but that usually involves costly attorney fees to fight. I also know some including myself also will give fish to seniors that can't fish due to health reasons yet also can't afford store bought fish on a fixed income. I believe that a lot has to be in the hands of responsible sportsmen. And yes there has always been and always will be some that will waste the source. It deffinately needs to be monitored on a lake by lake, water system by water system basis. The reply from Marty at FWC was very enlightening and they are biologists not me. I just wish that if you know for certain someone that is poaching turn em in, be it fish or game, the number is on your liscense. Take what you can use and let the rest swim or walk. Enjoy the day on the water or in the woods with friends and family.

Post Thanks / Like

All I want to see is improved fishing for everyone both presently and for future fishing. Sometimes I keep 15, but I mostly will keep 5 or none.
    "If you do not change direction, you may end up where you are heading."

Post Thanks / Like

I think everyone on here would agree with that!! Gotta remember that most of them boats out there are struggling to catch fish. I stop almost every day at the 2 ramps on Monroe and talk to boats coming in. The majority of them have kept between 10 and 15. Might or might not be all they caught, but seems to be the normal amount. Heck read Florida sportsmen, them guys thought the bite had not started yet cause they did not catch but a couple fish on 3 dozen minners, meanwhile people on here were having no such trouble. I think, and pray this state has learned a valuable lesson in the saltwater fishery on under managing fish. Like I stated before it really is up to us to do what we feel is right. And 1 positive outcome of Crappie USA and Crappie Masters is the promoting of catch and release. Any pro prefishing and keeping a limit of big slabs is shootin himself in the foot.

Post Thanks / Like

Some good points there HS.
    "If you do not change direction, you may end up where you are heading."

Post Thanks / Like

Now if Stu gave em all lessons have to start fishin fer mudfish

Post Thanks / Like

The FWC has a difficult job, trying on one hand to manage the fishery and on the other hand manage the fishermen.
    Some lakes need to require all specks to be kept ( would take too long to explain, and I type too slow) some lakes a minimum length is needed. Spawning success (recruitment), fishing pressure, forrage base, etc etc etc it's a difficult job but it can be done. The one problem with a high bag limit is if you have a lower population and have poor recruitment for a few years you can have a real problem quick, much slower to rebound, and all fish and wildlife departments are full of bureaucrats. Very slow (if at all) to react.
    I am counting on the specks to be in my area in good numbers when I retire and worry that they may not. I know now I will not have the money to travel to other areas to go fishing. I probably shouldn't worry so much but I saw what happened to the rockfish and shad in the chesapeake bay area and I no longer have 30 years to wait for them to come back.

Post Thanks / Like

I very seldom keep fish, mostly due to the fact my family isnt big fish eatters, but at the same time I have nothing but respect for those that keep fish for meals. Times are tough, it still costs money to fish and if some can offset those costs by providing a meal or two, more power to them.

I myself prize the picture and the resulting feeling of releasing that fish for hopefully another to catch and enjoy.

Ive spoken to assorted FWC folks in regards to their opinion on keeping vs release. They tend to differ.

I myself really dont mind either way..........except when someone abuses said limits............ even then when caught the punishment never seems to fit the crime, a slap on the wrist and their off and on their way again.

I think it all starts with ones personal values and morals............for the vast majority of the speck fishermen Ive encountered....... I feel good judgement prevails...... and THAT makes me very proud of the fishery as a whole and the fishermen that chase the species.

A 10 inch statewide limit would be a positive thing for the future of the fishery.

"Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after".
    -Henry David Thoreau-

Post Thanks / Like

HS, I too tell most of the people that ask me what I caught, (struggled to get em today) but you know, I think they know I'm lying ( why in the heck is this guy smiling like a mule eaten briers if he didn't catch anything???) hee hee hee

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast