Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Picking the right Jigs

Post Thanks / Like

Default Picking the right Jigs

Fellows I'm new, I want to catch these Crappie through the winter at the local honey hole. "The CJ Brown Reservoir in Springfield".So what type of bates do the Crappie prefer right now? I know everything is slow so I'm not casting and working baits but what spacificaly should I use. Ice jigs alone? Ice jigs with minnows? or maybe spikes? Any info will be appreciated. Thanks

Post Thanks / Like

A lot of us like soft plastics or hair/feather jigs during winter. You can find a lot of quality jigs made by guys on this site. Most of tightline when it turns cold since crappie aren't as active. Bobby Garland plastics and panfish assassins have always done well for me. Try a variety of colors and the fish will tell you what they want. If your fishing deep or stained water, you might want to try some of the glow baits. They are especially good early and late in the day.

You need to use a jig heavy enough where you can feel it bumping around in a brushpile. If you still can't, you might want to add a lead sinker either above or below the jig. This time of year, many of your biggest crappie will be very light biters.

Post Thanks / Like

Here in south Louisiana,,(it may be a little warmer he than where you are) but this time of year, the crawfish start getting plentifull especially the small ones and I usually do good with red and yellow or blake and red tube jigs, hope this helps

shipahoy41 is offline Crappie.com Legend - 2022 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Welcome from Alabama. I lived in Akron Ohio for well over 40 years which is not too far from Springfield. I fished Wingfoot, Mogadore and West Branch a lot. When there I would use teardrop shaped ice jigs tipped with a waxworm. You cannot go wrong using chartreuse and pink or chartreuse and black.

I usually had a double jig rig setup. I would fish a 1/16th horizontal jig on the top with the teardrop on a loop knot about10-15 inches below that. Tip the jig with a minnow or soft plastic and tip the teardrop with a wax worm or two.

http://www.crappie.com/crappie/ice-f...drop-jigs.html

http://www.crappie.com/crappie/panfi...r-crappie.html
    Aquatic Species Removal Engineer.
    May God be with you. Keep CALM and STAY ANCHORED with your faith.

Post Thanks / Like

Thank you for the help to everyone. Crappie fishing is a blast and I can't believe I didn't get hooked years ago. No more sitting in the house through the winter. Again thanks for the tips.