Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New yak... check for sale items.

Post Thanks / Like

Default New yak... check for sale items.

Got this for $600. Most yak outfitters are cutting prices on older models, the economy works in your favor if you can find a deal that works.

Synergy 14 - Mad River Canoe

Was wanting a Jackson Cuda, but at twice the price for the same length... I just couldn't make myself spend the money. I figure the Synergy 140 will serve me well for a while, give me some more insight in what I want in a fishing kayak, and save me $$$$ in the long run. On with the farkles, anchor trolley, electronics, rod holders, milk crates, gear holders, piss bottle....
    The best way to get to where you want to be in the future is to act like you are there TODAY.

Post Thanks / Like

Thats a cool looking kayak. I've been wanting to possibly get something like that... right now I have a 10ft pelican boat that I don't have registered... I was debating on selling it and getting a kayak but I'm a big guy at 280lbs so maybe I should just register the pelican... lol

Post Thanks / Like

Most longer kayaks, like my new one, have a load capacity of 400#. Look at the Jackson Cuda, it is wider and the most stable kayak on the water.
    The best way to get to where you want to be in the future is to act like you are there TODAY.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by kcbrown View Post
    Got this for $600. Most yak outfitters are cutting prices on older models, the economy works in your favor if you can find a deal that works.

Synergy 14 - Mad River Canoe

Was wanting a Jackson Cuda, but at twice the price for the same length... I just couldn't make myself spend the money. I figure the Synergy 140 will serve me well for a while, give me some more insight in what I want in a fishing kayak, and save me $$$$ in the long run. On with the farkles, anchor trolley, electronics, rod holders, milk crates, gear holders, piss bottle....
    The piss bottle is most important and luckily the cheapest

Post Thanks / Like

Congrats on the new boat. I suggest you paddle the boat a few times, and slowly make additions. Locations of gear (especially rod holders) is very subject to individual preferences. For example, I have my rod holders (twin tenders) zipped tied to my milk crate. Due to lots of overhead cover, I keep them pointed parallel to the water and have no holders in front of me. Others may prefer rod holders in front of them, or even holders that position the rods vertically.

Add pfd and a knife (for cutting anchor line, if it snags) to your list.

Post Thanks / Like

I have had a Synergy 12 for two and a half years and love it. I actually had two of them but parted with one this fall. To me the Synergy is one of the best kayaks for one all around boat. It will do the lakes great and the rivers great as well. If I only had one kayak I would have a Synergy. I like it for it versatility of being canoe shaped for rivers, yet kayak like when you are out on the lake. It is a Hybrid kayak. Very important like "bfish" mentioned... paddle it around a few times and decide where to put things. I read that one of the worst things a person can do is sit in their garage in their new kayak and say "I want this there and that over here" then get out there and not like it because it wasn't functional. I like that you sit a little lower in it because it makes you feel safer. Word to the wise... after having an anchor trolley on both sides permanently mounted I have since changed my mind on use of them. I now have a removable trolley that I can use when I want or need to. The fixed trolley can catch on limbs and debris and stuff on the river and in moving water the last thing you want is to get caught on something. The 14 will be faster than the 12. I think they are a terrific boat. They are good to have one around for company to use because they are stable and easy to use right from the start. I have stood up in mine but it was just to say that I could. LOL. PM me if you would like to exchange some info or pics. Thanks and have fun. Kayaking is a sickness and I don't want the antidote.

Post Thanks / Like

I get the "wait to mount" things concept. I made that mistake on my D10. Put the FF right in the middle of the dash between two rod holders... making my dash useless, finally moved it over to one side.

Removable trolley, that'd be real interesting to hear more about.

I'd really appreciate seeing the rigging pics of your synergy. Post them here or email to ggbrown 1 at sbcglobal dot net. There aren't very many pictures of them online, rigged anyway.

Post Thanks / Like

Name:  kayaking 046.jpg
Views: 2168
Size:  73.3 KBName:  kayaking 037.jpg
Views: 1431
Size:  72.8 KBName:  kayaking 033.jpg
Views: 3832
Size:  58.9 KB
    This is my Synergy 12. I like the rod holder extenders because I don't have to reach for the rod to get it out. I have a stick on tape measure on the left side from Berkley that is very durable. I added the treads in the bottom for slippery feet. The picture of the kayak with the skirt kit on it is really nice in the winter to help keep you a little warmer and dryer on extremely cold days. I used it when there was actually ice on the lake and didn't take a lot of gear. I don't take lots of gear when it is extrememly cold to fish. The anchor trolley I told you about is permenantly mounted. It is on both sides. This was a high end trolly with tiny pullies on each end. Works great. But after having one like that I opted for a removable one for my new kayak. Just take a length of rope twice the length of your kayak and three caribiners. Tie both ends of the rope the same caribiner. Put a caribiner on the front and rear handle of the kayak with the rope looped thru each caribiner that is hooked to the handles. The caribiner with the ends of rope tied on it is the one you put your anchor line thru. Some poeple like to run the trolley line thru the middle caribiner so it does hang so low on the side of the boat. Sounds confusing but its really simple when you see it layed out and just unhook it from the handles when you don't want it on the kayak. Good thing to is you didn't drill any holes. And the great thing is that it cost about $5. to make it. I hope this helps.

Post Thanks / Like

1. What is the stick for? I'll guess for holding it in place in shallow water, kinda a mud stick?

2. I don't see electronics. Do you use them? My only experience with thru-hull is on the D10, I don't think that plastic is compatable with most glues, it kept popping loose. I finally mounted it via a bracket to the stern and get the best picture ever.

3. Can you access the front hold while floating? I was practicing with a lifting move, hands on the gunwales while I pitched my feet under me into the seat. It seemed to keep me balanced, but I was on the carpeted basement floor. Have to try that in the shallows of my home lake two blocks from the house.

Thanks

Post Thanks / Like

The stick you refer to is actually my paddle on the right side of the boat. I guess the picture kind of makes it look like a stake out pole.
    On the left side you can see a blue reach grabber. I use it to reach things in the front holding area. Lighter stuff of course.
    Electronics? I didn't put a Fish Finder on this boat because it is tough on this boat to find a good mounting spot for it. I use this boat on the river some so I didn't want a transducer outside the boat. I had planned to cut the bottom of the cup holder out and glue the transducer to the hull, then make a plate to cover the cup holder completely. I don't use the cup holder so it wasn't a big deal to me. You can use Marine Goop to mount a transducer to a kayak. Just make sure you do NOT get ANY air bubbles in the goop as it will affect the reading of the sonar. If you glue one inside the hull just use a piece of a large pool noodle. Cut off about 1.5" of the pool noodle and lay it down flat. Trace your transducer onto the pool noodle and cut out inside the lines you drew. The transducer will now fit inside the pool noodle and gives it a protective housing around it. Glue the pool noodle to the hull (using Marine Goop) on a flat spot where you want the transducer. After that dries fill the area you cut out for the transducer with some marine goop and gently push the transducer into keeping it parallel to the hull until it touches bottom. Let it sit until it dries and continue with the rest of your Fish finder install.

Tip: to make the marine goop easy to use and bubble free... I run the tube under hot water for a few minutes to make it flow out freely and evenly, don't get the lid wet or water in the goop.

I hope this helps. To me rigging kayaks is half the fun. I like to shop for toys to put on it and use with it and then when it's all rigged out its kind of a let down because I had so much fun getting into rigging it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast