Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Older Outboard repairs

Post Thanks / Like

Default Older Outboard repairs

Does anyone have a suggestion for someone to rebuild the lower unit on a mid-1980s 88HP Evinrude? I had a used lower unit put on it last spring and when I drained it this fall it had metal filings in it. Thanks

Post Thanks / Like

US Boatworks, KCK did mine last year all good! I do not trust most shops but like those guys! 913 342-0011

Post Thanks / Like

a certain amount of metal filings will be in all lower units from normal shifting, but if it is real excessive you may have a problem or bigger pieces....
    A FISH IN THE PAN IS WORTH TWO IN THE LAKE

Post Thanks / Like

I second that some metal will be normal. Is it fine and forming a muddy goop or is it larger chunks and pieces..

Post Thanks / Like

kcbrown,
    When I drained the oil last fall it looked at first like it had water in it and then the sun hit it and it was fine metal flakes. the oil plugs had a lot of metal on both of them (the magnets). The last time I was on the water it sounded different and it jumped a couple of times like it very briefly came out of gear but it did go several miles that way and only kluncked twice???

Thanks to all of you for any advice. I really don't want to be stranded on the lake because of it.

Post Thanks / Like

what oss and kc said,,,,you said used and understand what that means but think my first call is to who sold it to me, may be useless but what the heck, and don't let anyone feed you a line an 88 SPL is the same thing as a 90 from that era just without power trim and oil injection, good luck

Post Thanks / Like

I agree with the others, very fine pieces is ok, its normal because gears are meshing together (break-in) but the abnormal noise and popping in or out of gear is not, maybe adjustment? Unless chucks of metal in oil or popping you should be ok. It kinda sounds like it's not fully going into gear and popps out of gear going down the lake,(linkage adjustment)

Post Thanks / Like

Ok, sorry to hear about your troubles. Had the same trouble several times myself. Not a marine mechanic but am mechanically inclined- industrial maintenance tech. Usually fix my own stuff. A little glitter is normal. Jumpin out of gear in forward is not. First, when you engage forward, engage it-don't let it rattle. You can try adjusting linkage for more engagement of forward miter gear. If it's fully engaged and still jumpin you you got problems. You need to replace the forward miter gear. I have just exchanged the reverse miter gear and forward miter gear on the prop shaft also. Replace the water pump while you got her down. Are you mechanically inclined to do this? feel free to message me, am in Blue Springs