Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Filet knives Non-Electric

Post Thanks / Like

Default Filet knives Non-Electric

Lookin' to see if there are a few folks that still use a standard filet knife. I grew up using both a standard and an electric. Curious to see what brand and what size y'all use.

Post Thanks / Like

I use an electric and fixed blade, mine is a Cold Steel 6" carbon steel. It holds an edge better than any I've had.

Post Thanks / Like

Mostly just use a standard fillet knife to cut the rib bones out. I have a Browning and a Old Timer. The Electric saves so much time energy.
    I'm sick of following my dreams. I'm just going to ask them where they're goin' and hook up with them later.

Post Thanks / Like

barrelslime is offline Moderator White Bass/Striper/Hybrid Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Cabela's: Cabela's Fillet Knife by WUSTHOF
    This is what I use and its is the best
    Personal Best 17 1/2"
    " Let us endeavor so to live, that when we come to die, even the undertaker will be sorry." Mark Twain

Post Thanks / Like

russell filet knife from Nylon Net Company in memphis. high carbon steel thin flexible blade. 8 or 9 inch blade.
    don't know if the picture will show or not. i've used them for 45 years.

Nylon Net Company

Post Thanks / Like

Now if ya'll want a high end filet knife you should get in touch with "Pridgen Custom Knives" out of Fitzgerald Georgia. He makes some of the best filet knives out there. I have set in his shop and watched him make knives and it is so amazing to watch a man with this much natural talent. I think they are made of damascus steel and most any custom handle you want. Handles from regular wood to the wooly mammoth ivory.

Post Thanks / Like

I just use the regular ol' rapala J.Marttiini fillet knife. blade flexes nice, I give it a few strokes on the sharpener each time I use it & never had a problem keeping it sharp. Works great for all the small stuff trout, crappie etc.
    "Treat the earth well: it was not given to you by your parents, it was loaned to you by your children."

Post Thanks / Like

My wife bought me the Rapala "Presentation" series knife because she thought it looked like the best (a gift). It works very well and keeps a very sharp edge even if I don't sharpen it but every third or fourth use (7-10 fish per use).

I use the Edgemaker Pro sharpening system. Works great on all my knives and only costs about $20. My wife had one of those fancy electric sharpeners (I forget the brand) that nearly ruined every knife in the kitchen. I was able to bring them back with the EdgeMaker.

NIMROD is offline Crappie.com Legend - Kids Corner Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like

I have several fillet knives. Shrade, Rapala, Berkly, and cheap Chinese. All work good if you keep them sharp. I usually carry a steel to keep edges straight to save sharpening as often. I fillet fish without cutting through rib bones. Have seen lots use electric knives, just not any faster here.
    Moderator of Beginners n Mentoring forum
    Takeum Jigs

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast