Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ocean Pond in Osceola Florida?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Ocean Pond in Osceola Florida?

Has anyone fished at Ocean Pond in Osceola Florida? We are going camping there in a few weeks and wanted to get some info on this area. I have been an avid salt water fisherman for past 40 years and going to be my first trip to go for Crappie. Been reading and researching for over a month now and must say, getting excited about crappie fishing.

Post Thanks / Like

Sorry, cant help ya with that one, but welcome. And if ya go let us know how ya do, we like new waters. Slabkeeper, Pontiac or 6mm might know something about it.

Post Thanks / Like

I cant find a Ocean Pond in Florida for the life of me? Any chance of any additional info?

"Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after".
    -Henry David Thoreau-

Post Thanks / Like

It is in Osceola National Forrest in north Florida. Had to google it myself

Post Thanks / Like

Haven't heard any reports lately. I have heard it is real low just like the rest of the lakes around here.

Post Thanks / Like

Can anyone please inform me of any places to catch crappie in jacksonville, florida?

Post Thanks / Like

Sorry folks. Work has been killing me and no time tocheck my post.
    Ocean Pond is a 1760 acre fresh water lake off Hwy 90 inOlustee Fl. (About 45 miles west of Jacksonville Fl).
    A friend has fished here years before and he stated thathe use to catch crappie by the boat load using minnows, but once again this wasyears ago. I am going to be heading that way next Tuesday evening to give it atry and staying there at the camp site until Sunday. Being my first CrappieFishing trip and being solo (except with reading hours of posting and research)wish me luck. We will see if an old salt water fisherman can transition over.
    I will provide anupdate with photos when I get back. Who knows, maybe a good spot for those whoare in Jacksonville and North East Florida.
    If anyone is off during the week and wants to check itout with me, let me know.

Post Thanks / Like

Sounds like loads of fun, Take lots of pics and enjoy yourself.

Post Thanks / Like

Cool Hi ged

I'm fairly new to the jacksonville area and i would love to go with u but i can't go until thursday morning when i get off work. If u don't mind give me a call @ 904-762-3672 and my name is tavaris. Thanks!

Post Thanks / Like

Default Ocean pond

Ocean Pond is an infertile, tannin, bowl shaped lake a little north of town of Olustee. I was there in late November and the water level at the launch site on the south side of lake was good. There is a daily use fee charged by the U.S. Forest Service for access. There are bathrooms, paved parking, playgound, picnic area and even another larger bath facility with showers.

The fishing I've experienced there over the years has been poor due to the lake's low fertility from the tannic acid from the surrounding poorly drained pine flat woods. There is hardly any structure. I heard once there were fish attractors there but I've yet to see them. It does look like a fishing dream. Cypress trees extend out a ways and there a rim of grass and pads in some areas. It look fishy as all get out.

There is a very nice campground on the north side of the lake with a fair dirt launch. If I were going to launch at the campground I would want to use my 4x4 however. There are a few campsites up there where you can pull you boat up to your site which is nice.

If I were gonna fish it for crappie, I would probably just drift with jigs and jigs and minnows. I am not an expert on fishing it, but I do enjoy just hanging out on the water there.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast