Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Slip Bobber Idea

Post Thanks / Like

Default Slip Bobber Idea

I want to use slip bobbers as I fish as deep as 8 feet casting. But I don't like to use any split shot and I like a light jig to fall slowly. But the problem is when I hang the jig and break off I always loose my bead and slip float. Does anybody know of a way to prevent the float from being lost on a hangup??
    CATCH A BIG-UN

Post Thanks / Like

use another bobber stopfoot or so above your jig.

Post Thanks / Like

Sounds like that may work but I like the little red/white foam slip floats that come in a bag with a large red bead. The problem is that the holes in the metal rings on each end of the float are almost 1/4 of an inch. I may have to settle for a different style float and do what your suggesting.

Thanks,
    Dave
    CATCH A BIG-UN

CrappiePappy is offline Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by slabbandit View Post
    Sounds like that may work but I like the little red/white foam slip floats that come in a bag with a large red bead. The problem is that the holes in the metal rings on each end of the float are almost 1/4 of an inch. I may have to settle for a different style float and do what your suggesting.

Thanks,
    Dave
    OR ... why not put another bead between the 2nd bobberstop & the float ?? It wouldn't have to be any larger than what would stick in the hole of the metal ring ... it would add minimal weight, and probably wouldn't sink any faster than your jig & may even help drag your jig/line thru the hole.

just guessing here ... but, it may be worth a try.

... cp

shipahoy41 is offline Crappie.com Legend - 2022 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by crappiepappy View Post
    OR ... why not put another bead between the 2nd bobberstop & the float ?? It wouldn't have to be any larger than what would stick in the hole of the metal ring ... it would add minimal weight, and probably wouldn't sink any faster than your jig & may even help drag your jig/line thru the hole.

just guessing here ... but, it may be worth a try.

... cp
    Pappy,

I have used that idea of yours for years of tying on a small bead below the slip float and it really has cut down on the amount of lost floats. I have also used that weighted float idea where you epoxy or use silicone to put split shot directly into the float. http://www.crappie.com/crappie/main-...bber-info.html

It is a part of a complete system that I personally use. It has made for longer and more accurate casts for me any yet I can cast 1/80th to 1/16th jigs with complete confidence with the system using #2 or #4 line. I love those styrofoam floats or the waggler float because the line flows freely through them. I couple this with an open face reel , Shakespear on a 7.5 Crappie Wizard Rod. That is my system and is works for me.
    Aquatic Species Removal Engineer.
    May God be with you. Keep CALM and STAY ANCHORED with your faith.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by slabbandit View Post
    Does anybody know of a way to prevent the float from being lost on a hangup??
    Sure. Just use a leader that's lighter than your main line.

For example, if you're using 6# line on your reel, rig up your float, bead, float stop, etc. with the 6# line, but leave the jig off for now. Then, take a couple of feet of lighter line (say, 4#), and tie that to the 6# main line with a surgeon's knot or a uni-to-unit knot. Then, just tie on your jig to the 4# line. With this setup, you won't lose the float because the line will always break at the weakest point, which will be the leader.

This is a little more trouble, but it's foolproof.

Post Thanks / Like

OK, I think I misread your post, so I'll throw out another option. Like the other guys have said, you need something solid between your float and jig. I use either a very small split shot or a piece of toothpick attached to the line with a small section of rubber tubing. Both methods work great.

When I say "very small" split shot, I'm talking about what is usually called "dust shot". You can only find it in fly shops.

NIMROD is offline Crappie.com Legend - Kids Corner Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like

Use a light leader that will break off above the jig and add an extra stop.
    Moderator of Beginners n Mentoring forum
    Takeum Jigs

Post Thanks / Like

Small swivel, lighter leader than main line.
    HAND TIED CRAPPIE JIGS CRAPPIECOLLECTORS JIGS

https://www.etsy.com/shop/CRAPPIECOL...g_id=515350944

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Locator79 View Post
    Small swivel, lighter leader than main line.
    X2!!!!... you can also make up several differnt types of jig's/leaders.. this way you now have a quick change system set up!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast