Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Outerwear cold weather Kayaking

Post Thanks / Like

Default Outerwear cold weather Kayaking

I'm from Arkansas and new here. But I've been Kayak fishing (mostly trout warmer days) on the White off and on for ten years. Just purchased a Hobie Revolution and I want to step up my game in cooler weather and with crappie. So how are you guys dressing for near freezing temps? Outerwear and safety are of concern.

Thanks,

Floracycle

Post Thanks / Like

i duck hunt out of my yak i wear hodgman wader 1600 you won't get cold and some good gloves
    did you see the size of that fish

Post Thanks / Like

floracycle, I have fished every week over the last 15 months except the few weeks that Beaver was frozen over. I put in all the time in below freezing temps. Usually if it's below 40 I will wear a pair of wool socks and a pair of fleece wader pants and stocking foot breathable waders. Up top I usually wear a fleece long sleeve top with a dry top. If it gets up to 50 I usually have to take the fleece top off. I have a pair of neoprene gloves I wear if it is below 40 degrees. Now if you are concerned of falling in the lake in freezing temps the safest thing is to buy a dry suit. They are very expensive but are the ultimate in safety. I fish 95 percent of the time for crappie and usually from 412 to Hwy 12. I've started striper/walleye fishing from my kayak. I fish mostly by myself but have a couple kayak fishing friends that I frequently fish with. I hope this has been helpful. If you have any further questions feel free to pm me or repost here.
    Likes Jamesdean LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Most important thing is be sure your wearing a pfd. I also bring a spare pair of warm clothes in a drybox.

Generally breathable waders (with appropriate layers underneath, ie no cotton) is fine. Although on really cold days or when fishing rough water (say tailwater) I will wear my drysuit. I also try and fish with others and I leave a float plan with the wife. I also call wife when I make it off the water.

Post Thanks / Like

I definatly agree wear a pfd first off i try to use my sit inside mostly during the winter and toss a few hand warmers inside to heat it up but when i use the s o t i wear rain pants or snow pants and many layers just incase i start gettnig cold if you start gettting weak or tired get off the water right then no matter how good the fishing is you might not ever make another trip if you don't

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks everyone that was most helpful.

Post Thanks / Like

If you wear duck hunting waders just be aware that if you go over and those waders fill up your gonna be in serious trouble. I always carry a little survival kit with water proof matches and fire starter and a space blanket just in case

Post Thanks / Like

First of all, make a wise investment of a self inflating life jacket. That, coupled with a pair of waders, will work wonders.

Name:  float trip1.jpg
Views: 789
Size:  99.3 KB

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by filletfetish View Post
    First of all, make a wise investment of a self inflating life jacket. That, coupled with a pair of waders, will work wonders.

Name:  float trip1.jpg
Views: 789
Size:  99.3 KB

Thanks and nice ducks. I'm wanting to try duck hunting from my yak.

Post Thanks / Like

#1... stay close to shore. Close = less than 10 min. swim.

10-20 min. in 40 degree water you start losing muscle control... you can't swim. No matter what you have packed on the yak, if you're not out of the water in that time... hope you have life insurance.

Any and all life preservers; if you can't get OUT of the water means they find your bobbing body.
    The best way to get to where you want to be in the future is to act like you are there TODAY.