Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Condo's on Taylorsville LAke

Post Thanks / Like

Default Condo's on Taylorsville LAke

Am I wasting my time putting a bunch of crappie condo's on Taylorsville Lake since there is some many stickups anyway. I just figured putting some in some places whear there aren't a lot of stickups may give me an advantage on finding some crappie that others haven't already dropped 100 jigs infront of that day.

Jigboy
    "You should have been here yesterday!!!

Jigboy

CrappiePappy is offline Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Wink Well Jigboy ...

it certainly can't "hurt" to try a few

One thing you might consider ... T-ville does flood a few times a year, and some fairly large fallen/waterlogged trees (that used to be good Crappie holding spots) have washed away from their original drop spots. You might consider using a bit more weight, to hold the condos down, than you would normally think necessary .... especially if your condos are anything but PVC, and/or if they are of fairly good size.

Taylorsville rarely gets below Winter Pool ... so I would use that as a guide to determine depth of water to put them in. Summer Pool is only two feet higher than Winter Pool, so you won't really be putting them "too" deep to work pretty much year around. Just be sure that, even at Winter Pool, there's more than 6ft of water over the top of the condo. T-ville Crappie seem to like the 8-15ft depth range, for the majority of the year.

If you need any "suggestions" on WHERE some good spots to drop them are ..... I'd be more than happy to oblige :D

........ luck2ya ... cp

Post Thanks / Like

I live in Louisville and go to work very early which gets me off work early enough to hit the lakes about any day I want. Problem is, if I drive to Nolin or Rough, most of my time is in the truck driving. I can get to Taylorsville in no time. The other big deal is these crazy gas prices. My two favortie lakes are Weiss Lake and KY Lake. I just can't afford the gas to go near as often as I would like.

I have access to all the free plastic pipe I want so my condo's are made out of pex plastic water piping. I really want to work my butt off this year during the summer making up a lot of condo's. I will then put them out as soon as deer season ends so I can hit the water in early February. Taylorsville just seems like a logical place to try putting some out since the cost is so cheap for me. I was thinking of putting them in groups of five in up to ten places so that I will have plenty of choices on where to catch some crappie.

Jigboy

Jigboy

CrappiePappy is offline Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Exclamation I totally understand ...

A round trip to T-ville is a 3hr drive, for me. And that's just for one days fishing.
    Another reason for extra heavy "feet" on your condos ...... is to keep the "heavy line" anglers from hanging into it, and turning it over or dragging it off from its spot. Is that "pipe" slick enough to allow open hooks to slide off it ?
    I'd suggest putting them in a straight line ... from shallow to deep ... away from the shoreline. This will give the fish a choice of depths to suspend in, and make the condos a "year around" holding spot. I'd also suggest dropping the condos when the least number of people are on the lake ... whether that's in the Winter months, at night, or whenever ... is up to you. There's a lot of "prying eyes" out there ... just looking to capitalize on someone elses efforts.
    I'm in the process of gathering the materials to make/sink a few PVC trees, myself. I'll probably drop them on a full moon Summer night, while all the Bassin Boys are too busy to pay me much attention; and the Crappie anglers are tied up in the trees and watching their poles ........ luck2ya ... cp

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the suggestions. Are you supposed to get approval from the Corp of engineers before putting condo's out or is a sneak in and put them in because it only helps the fishing?

I like you suggestion about the straight line from deep water up to the shallows. I was thinking about starting around 25 feetand working up to about eight feet. That way there would still be plenty of water on them during the winter and I would have an arrangement of different depths.

Jigboy

Jigboy

Post Thanks / Like

Default Actually Jigboy .......

Quote Originally Posted by Jigboy
    Thanks for the suggestions. Are you supposed to get approval from the Corp of engineers before putting condo's out or is a sneak in and put them in because it only helps the fishing?

I like you suggestion about the straight line from deep water up to the shallows. I was thinking about starting around 25 feetand working up to about eight feet. That way there would still be plenty of water on them during the winter and I would have an arrangement of different depths.

Jigboy
    I was referring to the "sneak in & drop" tactic, as a means of keeping your condo spots "secret" from the general angling population. I did not mean to imply that it was "OK" to break the law, or COE regulations. I could not find any referrences to the placing of attractors in COE regulated waters (online) .... so, a call would definitely be in order. Since it is not a "transit" navagable waterway ... it probably isn't "illegal" ... but, COE permission might be required. There were "public" attractor sites placed in the lake, back when it was first opened .... but, those have long since been washed away or disintegrated, and the marker buoys are long gone, too.
    If you find out anything, one way or the other, please post your findings here .... I don't want to advocate, or be involved, in any illegal activities. And if they say it's OK ... but, you have to disclose the location of your attractors - or place them where "they" decide they should be placed ....... then, forget it .... I'll just fish the naturally occuring cover. ......... cp

Hardyville Hart Co, Ky,45min fromNolin, 50 min. Green 55 min. Barren 75 min Dale!
    Post Thanks / Like

Wink Ky Corp don't care

I went to the corp office at nolin to get my launch pass and asked about putting things in the water.She gave me a map and said they would give me some blocks to hold it down with,FREE! As long as it was not in the main channel BUT They want you to mark the map and return it to them so they can print it for the public! No THANKS.

Rowdy
    Remember This Beautiful World is
    ''Only Temperary Housing''!

Rowdy