Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I Got a B&M Graphite Jig Pole - Questions

Post Thanks / Like

Default I Got a B&M Graphite Jig Pole - Questions

I'm just getting into crappie fishing by long line trolling and have just been using a medium action Zebco rod and 33 classic off the back of the boat and a couple of light action spinning rod/reels off the side of the boat. I know the medium actions are too stiff, but using what I have. I've been catching some, but my buddy uses crappie poles and using the light tip certainly makes a difference.

My son got me a 12ft B&M Graphite Jig Pole for Christmas that I had been eyeing. It's the first and only long pole that I've ever had and not sure if it's the best for me or not. My plan was to hang a 12ft pole on each side of the boat while trolling. I know B&M makes the "difference" rod to hang off the side the way I intend, but I don't see them anywhere around local. I like the feel of the Jig Pole, seems to have a nice back with a pretty sensitive tip, but I also played around with a Shakesphere Crappie Hunter rod in the store and that seems to have even a faster tip and and little softer back (bends more like a whip, but not that bad). I think I like the feel of the Crappie Hunter better, but not sure if it would be as good for trolling on the side of the boat. Crappie Hunter is cheaper and lighter, but the B&M Jig Pole seems to get the "can't go wrong" reviews from what I've read.

Just not sure if I should keep the more expensive B&M or get the Crappie Hunters from Shakessphere. Any thoughts?

The one other thing I've noticed is both those rods have small eyes. I wanted to put a small spinning reel on them. But, looks like the rod is intended to have a spincast or bait cast (small for holding line more than anything of course). Anyone running small spinning reel on these through the small eyes? Again, I would be casting them out to the side and then trolling beside the boat.

Any help for a newbie would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Post Thanks / Like

Buy the best you can afford. That's better than buying twice. As you know, the B&M's are more popular. Buy what YOU like. Nobody can pick the right rod for YOU. Buy one of each, and try them out. Take the one you don't like back and trade it in.

BRM
    We only sell the Best. Ranger, Xpress, Yamaha, Suzuki, Tohatsu.

Post Thanks / Like

BTW, you can order direct from most manufactures, or any of the online dealers.

The spinning reels will work fine on the long poles. Don't have to have the spinning rod eyes for what you're doing.

BRM
    We only sell the Best. Ranger, Xpress, Yamaha, Suzuki, Tohatsu.

Post Thanks / Like

I think you will be pleased with the performance of the BnM pole. Ive used them for years and love them especially for long lining. I have saw them on sale at the big box stores, best price ive seen.

barrelslime is offline Moderator White Bass/Striper/Hybrid Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

As far as the reel is concerned, Are you using rod holders or not?
    Crappie hunter rods are good rods for the money.
    Personal Best 17 1/2"
    " Let us endeavor so to live, that when we come to die, even the undertaker will be sorry." Mark Twain

Post Thanks / Like

i have used both adn love both go with wat u think is right

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks all. I figured it would come down to individual preference on the rods but was wasn't sure if one with a stiffer backbone (b&M) or the softer backbone (Crappie Hunter) would be better for trolling off the side. More I think about it, seems like if I ever try spider rigging for some reason the bit more backbone might be nice. I'm sure they are both better than the Zebco rods I'm currently using - LOL.

BTW, yes, I am using a couple of driftmaster rod holders - two up front and two in back. I want to add a few more up front, but they are proud of them so one thing at a time.

Thanks again.

Post Thanks / Like

You'll love the B&M pole for sure, but for fishing on a budget those Crappie Hunters are good rods. I've fished with those and they are a really nice feeling rod! I think you'd be better off buying one of each and seeing which you like better like someone stated. And any reel will work. Good luck
    Hooking up every chance I get!

Post Thanks / Like

I think the B&M is an excellent and versatile rod. For the money I love mine to death. Good cheap reel wise, I love the BPS Crappie Maxx. $20 and you get a spare spool.

Post Thanks / Like

I own both.....I lIke the BNM better....but neIther one Is a bad rod....the BnM Is pretty versatIle

-ROMANS 10:9- PHILIPPIANS 4:13

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast