Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Monroe and New To Forum

Post Thanks / Like

Default Monroe and New To Forum

Hellow to All:

First I'd like to say thank you to Huntinslabs and several others that contribute to this forum consistently about their luck on Monroe. I've been fishing Monroe and other area lakes since 2008 based mostly on the reconnaissance I have gathered from this site and the central florida fishing report. I'm about to share a lot of my experience below and will detail what I'm using and the marginal success I've had and will share exactly what I'm using and where if it helps anyone at all. All I ask for is some help in return. I believe fishing is about copying those who are successful and always keeping an open so you can improve. I'll share what I can. If I find a really good honey hole I might keep to myself for a little while, but I usually let the cat out of the bag eventually.

First other than ice fishing specs long lining and spider rigging was new to me, but I found it amazing. Because of money I started off with a heritage redfish kayak that I improvised a mount for a trolling motor on and on extremely calm days would fish Monroe. The size of the fish amazed me and kept me coming back. Unfortunately, most days were just too rough for the yak. I now have a 16ft G3 center console delux with 60 hp yamie 4 stroke. Its a saltwater edition so it is painted white with blue stripes. Bought used and have already had to replace saltwater trolling motor and trolling battery. I wanted something I could do intercostal and fresh water fish with and this thing was much cheaper than the technical poling skiffs. It still gets reasonably shallow. I'm not that crazy about sight fishing reds anyway. I grew up sight fishing salmon and steelhead on small brushy streams in northern michigan. I've had my fill of seeing the fish. Kind of takes the mystery out of it when you can see the prey. When fishing dirty water you just never know how big or what you hooked when you get that bite. I enjoy that aspect of fishing.

Anyhow, I have had only marginal success on the specs this year. I've been trolling jigs exclusively. Mostly around the mile markes 6, 7, 8, and 9 when the winds allow me. I've found that this year I've had to use 1/32 once jigs trolling on speed setting 1 basically just to steer with a moderate wind pushing me 5-10 mph (Don't have GPS to track speed, Lost it but thats another story). The only jig body and tail that has consistently performed for me is 1.5 inch grub twisty tail white body and pink tail. Very small combo, but hey its all I can get to consistently put fish in the boat. The tail has to have really good action or it won't get any bites. Any other color scheme in the Lake (not river) hasn't produced for me. The 14 incher and 13 7/8 inchers in my Avatar photo were taken on Monroe in this area with that combo. I seem to catch between 3-6 really big fish in 2 to 5 hours fising and a handful of dinky ones and that is it doing what I described above. I only run two rods because I'm new to this and only have two rod holders. I've tried bettle spins from 1/32 once jig combos to 1/8 once. All different colors. I've tried roadrunners white head or chartruse head 1/16 once with brown body and green tails which normally produce well for me and I'm getting nothing in the lake on them.

Does anyone have any suggestions on other locations to try. Obviously, I'm not from here so I don't know the area well. I hear people talk about the "Old Power Plant" Not sure where it is so I don't know where to go to try it. I launch at the I4 launch off 1792.

Yesterday, to get out of the wind. I was in full rain gear though, I ran up to the mouth of the Wekiva and trolled the shore line and mouth. Caught three nice ones and lost a huge one on a 1/16 once white roadrunner with brown body and green tail. Caught a nice striped bass on the 1/32 once jig with the white body and pink tail. The fish I'm getting are nice I just can't seem to put any numbers in the boat. I'm running 4lb Green Trilene XL so I now the line isn't too heavy. I've found when fishing schooling fish more rods does not necessarily mean more fish in the boat. Usually it means more tangles and messes. Especially by yourself. In my experience if you can dial in what they want and keep going through them 1-2 rods is all a guy can reasonably handle. Plus, I hate keeping the trolling motor going when I have a big one on. The extra pressure from the boat draggin the fish at 1.5 mph does not put the odds of landing a paper mouth in your favor when they get really big.

Anyhow, any spot suggestions with directions to get there or tackle suggestions are welcome. I've done pretty darn well on the shellcracker and copper head gills so if I can help someone in this arena I'd be glad to swap info on tackle, bait, rigging etc...

Post Thanks / Like

Welcome zakcrappie. Sounds like you got a grip on it for sure. The opp is on the NW croner of the lake. If you follow the manatee markers on the wset side of the lake they'll lead you right to the opp. Hope to see you at the January slabfest. That's when some good info is shared. As far as two poles, that's fine but I fish with 10 at a time. I 've had as many as 4-5 down at a time and 10 fish in the bottom of the boat waiting their turn to hit the live well. This doesn't happen often but when it does there's nothing like it.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the info Spekantor....Wow, 4 to 5 down sounds like beautiful chaos. I've had similar experience ice fishing when a school moves in. Everyones rods tipping at the hole ready to go in while trying to bring up the one in your hands. I actually would like to get to where I could do it. (run multiple rods) I guess the only way to learn is to dive in. The messes during the learning curb though I don't look forward to. Do you long line or spider rig? I'm not sold on spider rigging, but I know it works for those who do it. I just don't like having lots of extra weight on the line when fishing. I've been contemplating getting a Tbar with multiple rod holders I just dont know the nuiansces of rod length, placement, etc...

Post Thanks / Like

Two poles? I can't hardly imagine that. Come to the Slabfest as Speckanator said and you will be enlightened! There are many different ways
    and all of them fun!I don't usually have any problem with poles getting tangled and I usually have between 12 and 20 out.
    Hope to see you out there!
    BLSD

Post Thanks / Like

Welcome to the mad house Zak. With just a tad of tweaking you will be spot on. I am planning to fish on Sunday if you can swing it. And like said the Slabfests have an abundance of info that is openly shared. And trust me, once ya get the swing of it you will be fishing a BUNCH more poles than 2. It gets to be total chaos sometimes and ya love every minute of it.Where are you located?? Might could just meet ya and discuss in person, if ya can't make it out Sunday. And do not discount spider rigging just yet. There is times that it is the only way. I find it almost imposssible in my boat as it is light and my baits move too much, but there is times I really wish I could.

Post Thanks / Like

Welcome Zak........MAN YOU REALLY KICKED OVER A HORNETS NEST WITH THE TWO ROD COMMENT!!!!!!!!..........Your gonna get schoolin like never before!!!!!!!!! My advice is to make it a priority to go to the Jan. slabfest before you buy anything..........You'll see lots of rigs & setups that will inspire you & help you decide whats best for your style.........& by the way.....it doesnt happen often, but there has been a few times in my fishing history when two rods are one two many!!!!!!

Welcome again.......Roy
    Rinse out the dang minner bucket:D

Post Thanks / Like

Or just confuse the living heck out of him. You truely are almost spot on and a tad of tweakin and you will be there.

Post Thanks / Like

Welcome to the crappie board zakcrappie! Monroe just might be the best lake to try some new techniques. FYI, I use 6 rods at a time...but I think I'm about to graduate to 8.
    "If you do not change direction, you may end up where you are heading."

Post Thanks / Like

yeah.....Im one of the more is better guys too..............Im set up to run 16 rods ......4 on each corner.........I can push em........ pull em ........drift em.......& there have been a few times that I wanted to use them a spears too!!!!!!!
    Rinse out the dang minner bucket:D

Post Thanks / Like

Welcome Zac looking forward to meeting u and sharing infi
    From the phne of Crappiegirl1
    CG1 "Dances with fish"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast