Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: All About Pressures

Post Thanks / Like

Default All About Pressures

Found this on the web while doing some browsing. Thought is might come in handy sometime for someone.

4.3.3 Pressure Units

Depending on the temperature, the pressure in a UF6 cylinder is either positive or negative with respect to atmospheric pressure. Several scales are used to express the measurement of the pressure in a container. Two pressure scales based on English units (pounds per square inch or psi) are in common use in American industrial practice. One of these is an absolute scale (psia), while the other measures incremental pressure above atmospheric pressure (psig, also known as gage pressure). For pressure below atmospheric, units are given in inches of mercury (in. Hg) with an absolute vacuum being indicated as -30 in. Hg and atmospheric pressure as 0 in. Hg. The inches-of-Mercury scale is commonly used on compound gages to give a scale that is continuous with gage pressure units.
    The pressure scale, commonly used in laboratory work, is based on the barometric scale where atmospheric pressure will support a mercury column 30 in. high. This scale is used extensively in measurement of subatmospheric pressures. Subatmospheric pressure can be expressed in inches of mercury (in. Hg) which is an inversion of the absolute pressure scale. Barometric pressure is also measured in millimeters of Mercury (mm Hg), where atmospheric pressure will support a mercury column 760 mm high.
    In the International System of Units, pressure is measured in pascals (Pa), with 101,330 Pa or 101.33 kilopascals (101.33kPa) equal to atmospheric pressure.
    These pressure and vacuum scales are compared in Figure 6. The scales can be used to convert any of the pressure or vacuum values in this document to other units that may be more useful or more familiar to the reader.
    Regards,

Moose1am

Post Thanks / Like

Moose, I believe I'd have to sit down at the table with you, face to face, with 3 or 4....7 or 8 beers, before I'd understand all of that!:D ---Pooch

Post Thanks / Like

Question Huh

Moose if this post was about sex, i'd feel impotent right after reading it. Don't get me wrong, i enjoy reading your posts. I just don't understand 99% of them...izzy :D

Post Thanks / Like

A cold beer sounds good.

I found this chart while browsing the net today. I was reading CrappiePappy's post on the fish he caught at Watts Bar recently. It got me to thinking about the nuclear facilities in that area. From there I found Oak Ridge, TN and then did some research on what they did at that Energy Facility from 1940 until today. It's closed down now but there is still some glow in the dark stuff stored there. Depleted Uranium. The U235 <0.7% and the U238 at 99.5% or above with some U234 thrown in for good measure.

Here is a picture of what the guys wear when inspecting this stuff at the Energy dept facilities.

And here is some Uranium Canisters in storage out in the open.

Look just how close Watts Bar is to Oak Ridge TN as the Crow Flies. Remember that Oak Ridge has been there for over 50 years now. They built that place in the very early 1940's during the war long before we had the USEPA and they didn't have any regulations to control the facility. We were still learning about radiation in those days.

I got interested in this Oak Ridge TN facility back in 1983 Oct when I caught three large mouth bass from KY lake and all there had physical deformities. I got curious as to which water sheds feed KY lake and looked at a big map. I traced the TN river all the way back to the Oak Ridge TN area.

Today I saw pictures of some leaking stainless steel containers that contained Yellow Cake or Uranium Hexafluoride. The containers won't stand up to the Florine in this compound and this stuff eventually will eat though the steel containers. The leaks are suppose to stop themselves when the stuff is exposed to water vapor. Scary stuff I read today about Uranium and how they mine, process, enrich, use and store this Uranium 235 stuff.

Yea I got bored to day and instead of drinking beer actually learned some new stuff today. LOL

I always wondered how they enriched Uranium and made nuclear bombs etc.

with all this talk in the news today about Iran making nuclear fuel for reactors and bombs I was curious as to how they do this. I learned that the difference between enriched uranium fuel and depleted uranium is the amount of U235 isotope in the mix. Any uranium with greater than 3% U235 in it is enriched and less than 0.7% is depleted so to speak. The trouble is both mixtures are still radio active and are emitting alpha, beta and Gama radiation in varying degrees.

Now I think I understand why the returning gulf war vets have these strange illness. They used depleted Uranium with U235 and U238 and U234 isotopes in the tank shells. You take this stuff and shoot it out of an M1 tank and destroy a T72 Main Battle Tank and the Uranium goes into the smoke and is thrown all over the place. They you drive though that area and inhale the lingering dust particles that are suspended in the air as a fine particulate matter and you inhale Uranium atoms and it's compounds deep into your lungs where it sits for years to come emitting radiation right next to the cells in your lungs.

All the different isotopes of Uranium behave the same chemically and form different compounds. Some are more stable than others. Some react with water and some will spontaneously combusts when exposed to hot air. And some gives off Hydrogen Fluoride which is a very very very strong mineral acid which is quite dangerous. HFL will eat though a lot of metals very quickly as Florine is very reactive and will eat stuff up. It's more dangerous that chlorine gas.

And I thought the fish was only contaminated with PCB and Mercury. Now I wonder just how much Uranium is present in the food we are eating?. Sometimes it better to not read this stuff. LOL Ignorance is bliss they say.
    Last edited by Moose1am; 04-17-2006 at 05:36 PM.
    Regards,

Moose1am

Post Thanks / Like

Moose:

Only the K-25 plant closed at Oak Ridge...the old
    gaseous diffusion plant. Y-12 and the Oak Ridge
    National Lab (X-10) are still very much open and in
    business. I doubt that very much pollution from
    Oak Ridge made it to KY Lake...but there was a warning
    about dredging deep material out of Watts Bar.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the feedback. I was just thinking that a few atoms of radiation could have gone that far. It's had enough time for sure to travel all the way to the lake. But I really don't think that there is that much that could have made that long of a trip. I just was wondering to myself out loud I guess. More than likely those bass were deformed due to some other chemicals in the water and not because of radiation. The K12 part of the place was the Gaseous diffusion part? I don't know too much about the place. So that's new information to me and I thank you for the input. You sound like you know the place well. I did read that yellow cake was the feed material for the gaseous diffusion. I worked with Hydrofluoric acid in our lab and that's some nasty stuff. We had to have a special fume hood to work with that stuff. It would eat the metal on a regular fume hood up in a short time.

I didn't mind working with sulfuric or nitric or hydrochloric acids but I try to stay away from Hydrofluoric acid. I did find that they put that HFL acid in some aluminum wheel cleaner. I could spray that stuff on my wheels and wash it off with lots of water 60 seconds later and it would take all the brake dust and grime off the aluminum wheels and make them look like new. Once I let the stuff stay on my spare tire wheel too long and it ate the rim up so bad that the tire would not seal and stay inflated. I had to get that wheels rim machined down smooth so that they could get the tire to seal again. I still have to crawl under the truck and drop that spare tire down and check it every year to make sure that the seals have held and it's not gone flat on me again. LOL

I just don't know that much about radiation and it scares the bejeebers out of me. I normally don't even want to know about it. Yes sometimes I want to be like the ostrich and stick my head in the sand. LOL

My first cousin was recently diagnosis with breast cancer. Her brother's wife has lung cancer and is not doing very well.

One of my best friends lost his mom to cancer when he was just out of college.

My godfathers daughter died of cancer at an early age.

One girl that I knew and watch grow up from a young kid to a young woman died of leukemia right after she got out of high school Her sister and I are still good friends.

My dad had prostate cancer but he got treated and it went into remission with radiation treatment.

My mom's next door neighbor died of lung cancer. My mom's other neighbor just went into surgery for something. They are not talking about it. Most people don't talk about it.

I'll bet if I looked around and talked to more people I could find many people that have cancer.

Radiation does cause cell damage. Some cell damage causes mutations in the cells genetic material. Some mutations turn into cancer or tumors. Most do now.

Other chemicals can cause damage to the cells genetic material and start the process.

We have no clue as to what the COMBINATION of all the chemicals in the air do or how they interact with our bodies.

Cancer is on the increase along with heart disease.

I have three tumors in me that are not cancerous but I still wish that they were not there. I got one years ago when I was in my early 30s. It's a lipoma on my left chest wall. It's about the size of a golf ball. I have another one on my upper back right side. It's about the same size. I have a third one that grew fast and it's on my left tricep muscle.

I had a cat scan and they found a mass in the middle of my chest. X rays showed something and they ordered a Cat Scan to see what it was. I was told it was nothing to worry about. But still it scares the Crap out of me when I see this happening all around me.

I know how humans are. We make mistakes. I just pray that those in running the Nuke Plants pay very close attention to all the dials and gauges and that all the welds hold up on the water pipes etc.

Sometimes I wish I had not studied chemistry and all the science classes as it makes me too much aware of what's going on. Most people don't know and don't' think about it.

One atom of plutonium can cause cell damage. I read that tobacco plants selectively take plutonium out of the soil and concentrate it in the tobacco leaves. I always figured that was not good.

I smoked for a long time. I finally kicked the habit. It took me three times and many years to finally be smoke free. But those years that I smoked have really loaded my lungs up with lots of bad things. Now I have to take medications for controlling my high blood pressure. I take another to control my acid reflux. And then I take Lipitor to lower my bad Cholesterol and to raise my good Cholesterol. I also take Protonix to control my acid reflux disease. Then I also take 500 mg of Advil each day to control the arthritis. LOL. I need to lose a few pound too. My dad had diabetis and it's a genetic thing. Plus I lived in the same environment as dad for many years. So whatever gave him that disease could easily give it to me too. Believe me that is one disease that you don't want to get it you can avoid it. Taking shots every day and pricking your fingers to take blood samples to test your blood sugar is not much fun. Diabetes is on the rise and so are many other diseases. But we would expect that with a rise in our population. Without wars like WWII to reduce the human population we will eventually overpopulate the earth or have a nuclear war and end it all.

I got interested in reading about the radiation thing because of all the news about Iran building a nuclear bomb. That and the talk about the yellow cake that was said to have been sold to Saddam in Iraq. That turned out to be false. But when the President of the USA starts talking about "MUSHROOM CLOUDS" it sure does get everyone's attention.

Quote Originally Posted by tnvol
    Moose:

Only the K-25 plant closed at Oak Ridge...the old
    gaseous diffusion plant. Y-12 and the Oak Ridge
    National Lab (X-10) are still very much open and in
    business. I doubt that very much pollution from
    Oak Ridge made it to KY Lake...but there was a warning
    about dredging deep material out of Watts Bar.
    Regards,

Moose1am

Post Thanks / Like

Why do you even bother?
    Regards,

Moose1am

Post Thanks / Like

I don't

CrappiePappy is offline Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Talking Ahhhh yes .. our dearly departed friend Moose1am

I hear he got himself banned from Fishin.com ... for similar member vs member tiffs, that got him banned from here.

Let his demise be a lesson & warning to all ... don't get into personal attacks on other members, over your differences of opinion. Agree to disagree, and let it go at that.

... cp

Post Thanks / Like

Why was this even brought forward???? Someone trying to stirr the pot! EB
    DO-GOODER EXTRADINAR :p

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast