Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Today near St Cloud

Post Thanks / Like

Default Today near St Cloud

Got on the lake this morning about 8:30 or so before the wind came up. Found a place totally different than yesterday. Got a couple really good ones for me. Both measured 14-1/2 inches. Water depth was 6 ft. I was using 6 lb P-line, good stuff. GPS said 1.5 mph. I used 1/16 oz jigs with a 2 inch white curley tail. I have always heard that the wind will take you to the fish and I have practiced that for a number of years even when I fished bass tournaments. Today thats where the big ones were caught. I stayed in that area until white caps forced me to leave. Kept 15. They are packaged and in the freezer.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Post Thanks / Like

Look at you! Nice big and fat specks. Thx for showing me some fish.
    "If you do not change direction, you may end up where you are heading."

Post Thanks / Like

"Near St Cloud" never heard of that place? So if put my boat in around West LakeToho will the wind push me to "Near St Cloud"

Post Thanks / Like

Another handfull. Way to go. And yes windblown edges are great, especially with a little riprap to help beat up the bait some more.

Post Thanks / Like

Nice catch!! Sounds like you're having alot of fun!!

BLSD

Post Thanks / Like

Way to go. Keep after em. Can't wait till Saturday and I can go after them too. Don't you just love this time of year.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SpeckTracker View Post
    "Near St Cloud" never heard of that place? So if put my boat in around West LakeToho will the wind push me to "Near St Cloud"
    That was pretty funny stuff.
    "If you do not change direction, you may end up where you are heading."

Post Thanks / Like

Gotta feel good about those homemade jigs, looks like you found a key piece to the puzzle in your color choice. Stay hotttt!!!
    crappie down !

Post Thanks / Like

Just ordered 200 more no. 2 hooks. Here is how I make my jigs. I have a lee electric lead pot and a do-it jig mold. Since I cast my own bullets for my pistol shooting I have plenty of lead on hand. Heat the lead to about 700 degrees, yes I have a lead pot thermometer, then I heat the mold on top of the lead pot while it warms up, saves a lot of aggravation later. I put the hooks in the mold and start pouring. All of them will not come out as planned, don't worry, they can be recast. Use some needle nose pliers and dip the funky looking jigs back in the molten lead and give them a little swish, then they are ready to use again. I hang a couple dozen jigs on a board and give them a quick coat of spray white paint. When that dries, I use wal-mart fluorescent orange or yellow spray paint for a top coat. They are not perfect, I don't paint on eyes. The crappie don't know the difference and sometimes I use ones without paint. Lately it seems that fluorescent orange gets the most hits, strange.

Post Thanks / Like

I forgot to mention that today I had on my lucky hog hunter t-shirt. I always catch bigger crappie when I have it on. He he he.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast