Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Out of state fisherman

Post Thanks / Like

Default Out of state fisherman

I am going to be traveling to Indiana next month visiting step kids three times. We are looking for a good place to take the kids camping and to catch some crappie. We pick the kids up near Gary, Indiana, so obviously we want a lake in the northern part of the state somewhere fairly close to I-65. I am from Louisville, KY, so I am only familiar with the lakes around in Kentucky.

Any suggestions would be great. We will be up the last weekend of Aprll and the first weekend of May. We will then be back for a long weekend during the Memorial Day holiday which I am guessing is going to be to late for crappie.

Thanks for the suggestions,

Jigboy
    "You should have been here yesterday!!!

Jigboy

Post Thanks / Like

You might try Monticello IN for camping and there is a amusement park on lake shafer for the kids. the crappie will be deep again by Mem. day.
    Bill

Post Thanks / Like

I will look into it. I have been past there before. What about Indiana Chain of Lakes? Are any of them any good?

Jigboy

Jigboy

Post Thanks / Like

Jigboy,
    Another good spot with a great campground is Potato Creek state park. The fishing is usually very good also. Lots of standing timber, but the lake is electric only. Hope this helps. Good luck!!

Post Thanks / Like

We looked into Potto Creek. Can you use a large boat but not run your gas motor or are no gas motors permited on the lake period? Is their any good bank fishing because it is either a large bass boat or bank for me.

Jigboy

Jigboy

Post Thanks / Like

I fish some a state fish and wildlife area in Southern IN that is designated as electric motor only. The CO's and DNR personal allow larger boats on these F&W area waters as long as you don't use the gas engine. Most guys with large bass boats just tilt up the gas motors and use their electric trolling motors.

Is Potato Creek a IN State Fish and Wildlife Area or a private lake?

Quote Originally Posted by Jigboy
    We looked into Potto Creek. Can you use a large boat but not run your gas motor or are no gas motors permited on the lake period? Is their any good bank fishing because it is either a large bass boat or bank for me.

Jigboy
    Regards,

Moose1am

Post Thanks / Like

Default Potato Creek

You can definitely take your boat with a gas motor on to Potato Creek lake but you can't use it. Only electric motors. It's a nice park and there is some good bank fishing too.

Lake Freeman/Lake Shafer are very close to I-65 and I've heard good things about it. It's between Lafayette and Gary.

Post Thanks / Like

Potato Creek is a state park, and the lake is public. If you don't want to haul your big bass boat out there, they do rent jon boats in the park. I would suggest you take a transom mount trolling motor and battery with you though. It is a pretty good sized lake for just oars!! The bank fishing is pretty decent from what I hear.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the advice.

Jigboy

Jigboy

Post Thanks / Like

Potato is also set up for horses, nice campground.