Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Winter fishing

Post Thanks / Like

Default Winter fishing

I have never really fished in the winter is it better to use live bait are jigs on Loto

gabowman is offline Super Moderator * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Not sure what your water temp is right now but we're still around 58* here and theyre tearing up jigs and minnows. A little later when the water gets on down to 50* or lower most of us will be following the bait schools around using minnows. The cold water will make the fish quit chasing the jigs as well.
    Health nuts are going to feel stupid someday, lying in hospitals dying of nothing.

Post Thanks / Like

Yeah I was fishing over the weekend and it seemed like I barley had to reel the jigs to catch a fish and if it was moving to fast they wouldnt bite it but I didnt know how to fish when the water got to cold and also does draggin cranks work in the winter time?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Fisherman A View Post
    Yeah I was fishing over the weekend and it seemed like I barley had to reel the jigs to catch a fish and if it was moving to fast they wouldnt bite it but I didnt know how to fish when the water got to cold and also does draggin cranks work in the winter time?
    Well, like you said, if the bait was moving too fast they didn't bite, so a crankbait may be too aggressive...unless you "pushed" it real slow. Why not try it and give us a report on your success?

gabowman is offline Super Moderator * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Cranks are best during the hottest months from what all I've read.
    Health nuts are going to feel stupid someday, lying in hospitals dying of nothing.

Post Thanks / Like

I fish with jigs all thru the year ,just work the bottom around ledges or brushpiles.winter is a good time to fish cause once you find them ,they don't move much till spring.

Post Thanks / Like

Right now the best advice i can give you is fish slow and as the water cools even more fish slower also a vertical presentation will outfish a cast/flip over brush in the cold water reguardless if you're using jigs or minnows.Right now the dock fish are still aggresive enough to chase a jig that shot/pitched so imho jigs will outfish minnows in a bad way,good luck and keep us posted.
    For a full line of fluid beds
    soft plastic, jig heads and more see us at

www.simplycrappie.com

http://stores.ebay.com/Simply-Crappie

keeferfish is offline Crappie.com Legend * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

I agree as the water gets cooler I get most bites over brush while dead sticking, holding as still as possible. Good Luck

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by keeferfish View Post
    I agree as the water gets cooler I get most bites over brush while dead sticking, holding as still as possible. Good Luck
    I figured out why you dont catch many Bill get rid of the dead stick and use a good fishing rod. (LOL)Hands Clapping
    May all your live wells be full.
    Dave

Post Thanks / Like

Never thought about that with the crank moving to.fast and nexT time I go cranking ill give u a report

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast