Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: St. Mary's on fire

Post Thanks / Like

Default St. Mary's on fire

Not the water but the fishing. I fished underneath the pontoons today and I caught a lot of fish with size. I did not keep any so I did not keep count but it was the best fishing I have ever had on the lake. I shot a purple and green twister under the back of the toons and the docks they were tied to. I went with a two or three count and brought back slow. They would hit usually when I first started the retrieve. Anyway a lot of fun.

Post Thanks / Like

Nice report. Sounds like a nice day.

Post Thanks / Like

shooting docks/toons is a good time, wish I got to do it more often...nice report

-ROMANS 10:9- PHILIPPIANS 4:13

Post Thanks / Like

I wish I could boast as much........ Our channel was slow. Fished from 8 am to noon and only caught 2 crappies and 2 fat blue gills. I have pics of the crappies that I'll post when I get them off my phone. First crappie was nice close to 9" and chunky. The 2nd was a little guy. Broke down and used wax worms to coax the bite but didn't help much. The gills were caught with the meat.

Next trek to BPS I'll get a smaller rod that I can use to shoot toons. Anyone got recommendations on length, tip type, action?

Post Thanks / Like

Here are the crappies from GLSM this weekend.
    Water was pretty green this weekend too. Sunny days has the algae growing, should be dying this time of year. No blooms, no surface scum but the "pulp" was thicker than it has been in a month or so. Attribute it to the rain and run off from the fields plus the blue bird days making it ripe for the algae to feed. Will be gone soon enough I hope!
    Attached Images Attached Images   

Post Thanks / Like

I have the sharp shooter from B&M. I do not think they sell them at Bass Pro. I tried using an ugly stick at first but it was difficult to get the distance. I would try a search on the main form. That is how I found out about the sharp shooter.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by NBCrappie View Post
    I have the sharp shooter from B&M. I do not think they sell them at Bass Pro. I tried using an ugly stick at first but it was difficult to get the distance. I would try a search on the main form. That is how I found out about the sharp shooter.
    I use an ugly stick to shoot toons/docks, but would like to have a sharp shooter......will get one sooner or later, would be sooner if I got the chance to shoot docks more than I do....what length do you have?? do you get more distance with a little longer one??

Post Thanks / Like

BnM's website only has 3 options, 4.5, 5, and 5.5 all spinning. BNM Fishing is the site. Anyone use a closed spinning reel or normal open faced spinning reel when shooting docks? Jeepguy, interesting thought if length affects distance. Based on physics, you'd think the longer the momentum arm the more speed and therefore more distance but with length also comes less accuracy. Can pinpoint my 6.5' bass mojo but my 12' crappie rods is tough to control due to length.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jeepguyjames View Post
    I use an ugly stick to shoot toons/docks, but would like to have a sharp shooter......will get one sooner or later, would be sooner if I got the chance to shoot docks more than I do....what length do you have?? do you get more distance with a little longer one??
    I have the 5.5. The reason I got that size was because the other was back ordered and i did not want to wait the three to four weeks. If I get the right angle I can shoot back to the front third of a pontoon, at least that is what I think is happening. I have also gone to the crappie sliders and baits because they skip better and with all the clutter underneath docks I was sick of losing jigs. Also if you miss it is easier to work them free off of docks, fuel lines, fish baskets, boat ropes, etc.

I use a cheap open face real, but I know others go the other direction. I would recommend the high vis line. You will not catch as many bass with it but if you let ithe jig fall it is a lot easier to see the line move in the darkness under the pontoon.

hope this helps.

Post Thanks / Like

NBCcrappie......thanks for the info....I will check that rod out

Spooner.....nice catch.....kinda funny you thoughts on rod lengths, Im the exact other way, Im way more accurate with my fav 12ft than I am with 9s and shorter, but thats strictly casting/flipping type stuff.....guess its all in what you use well.....what works for you.....

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast