Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pretty good lake Grant Crappie

Post Thanks / Like

Default Pretty good lake Grant Crappie

Gettin tired of the same ole lakes so decided to go do something diff. this morn. Decided to hit up a little lake near us in Mt. Orab called Lake grant. We personally have never done to well there. Never very good numbers of fish. Today was not diff, not many fish but did get a pretty good white there today...... I would think the place should have huge crappie in it because of the amount of shad in that place. Its rediculously over infested with shad................. All jigs under a float (lake not very deep).
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Post Thanks / Like

Nice one...did you get a length or weight? Is it electric only or 10hp?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by EFslabs View Post
    Nice one...did you get a length or weight? Is it electric only or 10hp?
    Just shy of 14"s (it may have been 14) is what Im guessing when I layed him next to the crappie checker thingy. No weight. Im pretty shure its 10hp or less from what Ive been told and Ive seen a few fellas there with the little motors goin before...... Uncle has a pond and we turned that fish in there. My g-pa loves those bigger crappie in his pond.....

kycreek is offline Crappie.com Legend * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Good one right there. My buddy and I have been talking about hitting that lake with our johnboat. Looks like we need to stop talking and go. I fished the river tribs today, and caught nothing but bass, bluegill & catfish. 2 trips in a row with no crappie. Not even any little ones. A few weeks ago I could catch them. I guess this warm weather made them run back to the river. Whereever there are at I can't find them. But I'll keep trying.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by kycreekboy View Post
    Good one right there. My buddy and I have been talking about hitting that lake with our johnboat. Looks like we need to stop talking and go. I fished the river tribs today, and caught nothing but bass, bluegill & catfish. 2 trips in a row with no crappie. Not even any little ones. A few weeks ago I could catch them. I guess this warm weather made them run back to the river. Whereever there are at I can't find them. But I'll keep trying.
    And believe it or not I was getting on here to pm you and ask you how youve been getting them at the river. I was heading there tomorrow mornin. Glad you said something. fishin costs to much to be goin and catching nothing.......

Post Thanks / Like

By the way, I do think there are plenty of fish in that lake to be caught. gotta remember we went on a blue bird sky day with zero wind. Couldnt have been any worse. If you do decide to go pm me and Ill let you know where on that lake to head. There are acres of that lake that are less than a foot deep and you can get your boat stuck in it. Ill letcha know where that stuff is so you can avoid it. Do me a fav. Keep me posted on your river trips please. No specifics but if you start gettin them ya know. Good luck man and by the way, you dont really need a john boat to fish that place. good tm battery charge and you can fish the fishable areas........

kycreek is offline Crappie.com Legend * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Well I finally made it up to Grant Lake this afternoon. Had a hard time fighting the wind but did manage to catch a few with the biggest at 13 in. Not too shabby for me being the first time on this lake. Wind was terrible but I had to get out of the house. 33 miles from my barn to the waters edge, so it won't be my last trip. I thought it was farther than that. The river tribs are very muddy now and lots of BIG debris in the river, so I had to go somepelace different. Started to go to East fork but changed my mind at the last moment. Stayed on the Dam end of the lake trying to get out of the wind. Most fish were caught fairly deep with slip bobber/minnow combo. I'll be back. Tried sending you a pm crappiecrazed but your box is full.
    Last edited by kycreek; 11-18-2011 at 04:15 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Always wondered about crappie in that lake. We used to seign bait below the dam when I was a kid and would get one in the net now and then. That's a nice fish!
    Bob's Jigs Prostaff
    www.bobsjigs.com

Post Thanks / Like

Well I finally made it up to Grant Lake this afternoon. Had a hard time fighting the wind but did manage to catch a few with the biggest at 13 in. Not too shabby for me being the first time on this lake. Wind was terrible but I had to get out of the house. 33 miles from my barn to the waters edge, so it won't be my last trip. I thought it was farther than that. The river tribs are very muddy now and lots of BIG debris in the river, so I had to go somepelace different. Started to go to East fork but changed my mind at the last moment. Stayed on the Dam end of the lake trying to get out of the wind. Most fish were caught fairly deep with slip bobber/minnow combo. I'll be back. Tried sending you a pm crappiecrazed but your box is full.
    I completely missed this post kycreek!! Glad you got some. I have my pm box empty now also, sorry bout that!! Good luck next time your there.

By the way, make sure you are legal as possible over at that place. That place is always being watched by the wardens. Ive been checked there before and I hardly ever go there! There have been many of times ive seen the green trucks down by the dam with a feller and his bernoculars.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SpeckWick View Post
    Always wondered about crappie in that lake. We used to seign bait below the dam when I was a kid and would get one in the net now and then. That's a nice fish!
    Yeah that is still a favorite spot for seigning minnows. Whats reall weird about it is how many small mouth bass we get just below that little dam. I figure they must be coming up the creek from Im assuming thats White oak???

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast