Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Brush Piles.... Tricks to get slabs out tangle free?

Post Thanks / Like

Question Brush Piles.... Tricks to get slabs out tangle free?

I found a couple real nice brushpiles in 10-20 ft of water that are holding a lot of fish. I don't have a whole lot of experience getting really aggressive and dipping a bobber and minnow right into the middle of the brush pile, but, it has been working. Problem is, half of the fish I catch, they get tangled in branches about as soon as I set the hook and I have to ease up to the brush pile with my kayak and reach down into the water and un-tangle them. I lost a real big one this evening because of this.

What are some things some of you do to prevent this? Or, am I just SOL and should I just keep fishing them how I am and hope for the best? My old man thought maybe put on a heavier flourocarbon leader on to jerk them out of the pile a little quicker, but, I think that would just make me rip the hook out of their lip... Any ideas? I just got a new fenwick 7'6" L action rod and am using 4lb test.

Post Thanks / Like

If it were me, I get rid of the buggy whip and get yourself a stick. Then tightline em, setting the hook is like answering the phone, and crank fast. You'll find ole paperlips ain't got a chance when they're stuck in the roof of the mouth.

Post Thanks / Like

very good question and i have the same problem.

one thing a guy showed me is to be very precise with the presentation. instead of dropping the rig into the brush pile i just hoover at the very top. since the crappie usually feed "up" instead of down anyway it keeps you from hanging up in the sticks. also keep the line tight so that there is no slack in for the fish to use to dive back into the pile.

i started using a sinker at the low end of the rig, which works basically as a "feeler"... i can usually tell when i hit the highest point of the brush pile.

for what its worth i use a 9 ft b'n'm sam heaton rod for this technique.

Post Thanks / Like

When you tightline them, are you using two hooks spread apart or just one? What do you use for hooks? I tried a weedless jighead tonight under a bobber and got bites right away but missed every fish (apparently they're "fishless" also). Then I tied on a small aberdeen and hooked into almost all of them. What action of a rod would you suggest using?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Brad in MS View Post
    very good question and i have the same problem.

one thing a guy showed me is to be very precise with the presentation. instead of dropping the rig into the brush pile i just hoover at the very top. since the crappie usually feed "up" instead of down anyway it keeps you from hanging up in the sticks. also keep the line tight so that there is no slack in for the fish to use to dive back into the pile.

i started using a sinker at the low end of the rig, which works basically as a "feeler"... i can usually tell when i hit the highest point of the brush pile.

for what its worth i use a 9 ft b'n'm sam heaton rod for this technique.
    That helps.. I'm going to have to check into one of these B'n'M rods... I see people talking about them all the time on here.. Sounds like they are the ticket.
    How high above your sinker do you tie your hook? I guess I should clarify that these brush piles are pretty much whole trees taking up the entire water column, so, I can't really hover above it. Maybe I should just try to stick to the outer edges a little more?

Post Thanks / Like

Well AA, I use a 7' Loomis M with a fast action tip. But, most rods 6'-10' will work. As suggested you can drop-shot rig em or double jig rig em. If it's thick, just use a single jig. Thing is put something down there you can feel, and get em out before they wrap you up. Tight-lining will do just that. I like a fast action tip cause my stickers on high. A single jig will allow you dig down when they're buried in the brush. I'd roll myself over fishing out of a kayak some days. I don't even really care if I get them in anymore, cause I'm addicted to the DOINK or THUMP, all the rest is work. haha

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by AIRASSAULT View Post
    That helps.. I'm going to have to check into one of these B'n'M rods... I see people talking about them all the time on here.. Sounds like they are the ticket.
    How high above your sinker do you tie your hook? I guess I should clarify that these brush piles are pretty much whole trees taking up the entire water column, so, I can't really hover above it. Maybe I should just try to stick to the outer edges a little more?
    i usually tie the first hook about 12-18" above the sinker. then another about 12-18" above the first one.

the sam heaton rod is super sensitive. 9ft is about as long as i can use without breaking a tip or poking someone in the eye.

Post Thanks / Like

Anyone have any good weedless jig recommendations for fishing brush piles? The one's I bought out of bass pro didn't work to my expectaions.

Post Thanks / Like

You really dont need a weedless jig, with enough time on the water you can tell the difference between fish and brush, and when you feel the brush lower the jig and raise it back up, you can work the jig thru the brush all day like this.

Post Thanks / Like

Sometimes they will work themselves free and sometimes not. I try my best to never let them have a slack line, but if I can't get them out I will try popping the line while tight and if that doesn't work I may give them some line, but trying to not actually let them have slack, but much less pressure and let them swim back out of where they are. Doesn't always work, but at times it will.

Skip

Peak Vise Dealer
    Tying Materials, Chenille and Hackle
    For Pictures of my Crystal, Nylon/Rayon or
    New Age Chenille Please PM Me! Also I
    have the Saltwater Neck Hackle and some
    colors of Marabou plus other things!

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast