Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Which line to use?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Which line to use?

Which line do you guys recommend. I usually fish Truman. I like the braid because I don't have to re-tie as often. I've been running 6 pound crystal fireline. Is this ok. Just looking for something different that I can try. Thanks, Matt

Post Thanks / Like

braid and truman seem to go together,,, I use wally marshall 6 lb. a lot, and it works great on truman, but if your dipping them cedars braid is a go to

Post Thanks / Like

I dont use braid, dont like it. I like the Wally Marshall hi vis 6 lb myself. The mono stretches alot and Monty will make fun of it but I dont think it ever cost me a fish. Use what you want 'cause your gonna get a gazillion different opinions anyway.
    Team Double D - " We're not famous, but we should be."

Post Thanks / Like

I don't like braid myself, because it seems to tear up the beds I fish. I would rather just break off and tie on again and keep right on fishing. I also like the Wally Mrshall hi vis 6 lb and I use alot of PLine in 4 lb in clear. I also consider the cost and how much fishing I am going to be doing before I purchase line.

Post Thanks / Like

5lb power pro great line,thin and you can break it off if you have to... great for the really lite bite maybe to good but i don't like it for minnow fishing... just plain o'l mono there. If you do use braid the great thing is if you hook into a cat or a white or a walleye you have a better chance of gettin it to the boat

Post Thanks / Like

I have used a lot of different line over the years. In clear water lakes and streams I have always used the lightest and clearest line possible to prevent spooking the fish. I have tried to go heavier at times back home and it never worked out, as the line can be seen very well by the fish. So depends on the water, in my opinion.

However with that said, I switched to Mr. Crappie high vis line this past week while at crappie camp. It did excellent. It had great strength and I have not found a weak spot in the line yet, as opposed to the Trilene I had on it or the P-line I was using. P-line is what I used in bass fishing for years as it was very tough. The water was a bit murky so there was not a real issue with the fish seeing it that well.

I also still believe in light line as the jigs respond slightly different to it as opposed to heavier line. Also those light bites can be detected better on light line.
    I like braid as well for deep cover to allow myself to be able to pull that fish out without worry of the line breaking off. Again I have not used braid for crappie yet, the spools and my reels wouldn’t stand up to it. I have back up spools made for braid but I don’t mess with them, might in the future. I used braid line for jigging for bass in deep cover mostly, and crank baiting stump flats.

To each his or her own, on line, many factors to consider including personal preference as well. You can get the Mr. Crappie for around 5.20 right not in 6lbs test @ 1500 yards. To me that is a great deal.
    Good luck in your decision.

keeferfish is offline Crappie.com Legend * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Hard to beat power pro braid!

Post Thanks / Like

Power Pro 10/2 Hi-Vis for truman and dippin.I use Viscious 6lbs-8lbs Hi-Vis on all my casting rods,its super strong and has very little memory.
    There will be days when the fishing is better than one's most optimistic forecast, others when it is far worse. Either is a gain over just staying home.

Post Thanks / Like

I like vicious hi-vis 6 and mr crappie hi-vis 6 but I mostly fish LOZ

Post Thanks / Like

Power pro 10/2 is great with 6 lb fluorocarbon leader. Albright knot works perfect. You can use high vis line in clear water if you use a fluorocarbon leader.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast