Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Tackle Systems

Post Thanks / Like

Default Tackle Systems

I am new here so if this has been discussed before, then please disregard, or delete. Not new to fishing, but not experienced like some here, as far as crappie goes. Looking at my jig box it's a mess, and was wondering if there is a tackle system anyone would recommend, I would like to sort them by weight, and have a bunch of diffrent color variations. Is there anything out there that might fit my needs or do I just have too many dang jigs(which I don't think you could ever have enough). I have 1 box now crammed full and looking at making 3 to adjust to the sizes I have.

skeetbum is offline Crappie.com Legend - Moderator Jig Tying Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Lots of folks, myself included, use the Plano tackle boxes. You've seen em, kinda white-ish clear with snap catches. I find the ones that last the best have real hinges, not a strip of skinny plastic molded into the side of the lid. They come in lots of sizes and layouts, and I find the medium size with equal sized rows that accept movable dividers work best for me. I think I have 8 in the one compartment in the boat. They also fit different bags and boxes which are neat when you go with a friend, just take what you need that day. No matter where you start you'll refine it as you go.
    Creativity is just intelligence fooling around

Post Thanks / Like

Bass Pro Shops® Extreme® Double Worm Binder Bag | Bass Pro Shops

This is EXCELLANT!!!!!! I used to use a tackle bag with 4 plano boxes and it all fit in here. It's a lot more compact and holds a ton of stuff!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by spanky View Post
    ... I have 1 box now crammed full and looking at making 3 to adjust to the sizes I have.
    Be lucky you only have 3. Wait till you start counting your boxes by the dozen. Rofl

Post Thanks / Like

Standard Plano boxes are the golden standard. And the Plano boxes made for cranks are awesome, no tangled mess of cranks. And for the most part I leave jigs and hooks in the bags they come in. as for leaders I love the TACKLE BUDDY. And eggs sinkers go in Altoid tins, ive broke to many of the smaller Plano boxes.
    I aint here to tell you anything. You want to know what Im doing....pm me and meet me on the lake.

Post Thanks / Like

I can't believe you asked this question -- tonight, exactly when I was going to ask how everyone keeps their jigs organized.

The Plano boxes don't work for me because they don't fit in my old plastic tool box (from my sailing days) that I use as my tackle box. It works better for me than the standard tackle boxes in many ways.

But because of its configuration (long channels for holding tools) I use a piece of cardboard cut to 1/2" by 10" and hook the jigs through the cardboard. A 10" piece holds 20 jigs.

Name:  jig holder cardboard.JPG
Views: 262
Size:  127.6 KBName:  jig holder cardboard c-u.jpg
Views: 289
Size:  141.7 KB

This keeps all the hooks nicely buried where then don't get caught on stuff...like my fingers, or each other. But the hook barbs can make it difficult to remove a jig, and of course it keeps wearing out. So, I'm toying with a different solution: look closely at the mechanism of an old-fashioned plastic bulb-bobber, and you'll see where I'm heading.